X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post
    I had a jacket and waistcoat made to my size by Kilts4Less. I selected a Harris Tweed and they made and shipped the jacket.

Is that waistcoat self-backed or some kind of satin/rayon/synthetic? I've had a really hard time finding anything with a full tweed back.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a tweed back on your vest, it will be a special order for sure. Most tailors default to backing the vest with the same material as the lining of the jacket. It's smoother for movement and slightly less warm to wear.

However, a tweed-backed vest will look good to wear on its own, without the jacket. So it is a versatile garment.

I have a tweed-backed vest that was custom made by a tailor in Beijing. It was their first attempt at a kilt jacket and vest, and they had to work from pictures I gave them (many from this forum).

But when I worked with a real Highland tailor in Hong Kong, they used the lining material for the back of my vest.

So much depends on the tailor you are using for the job and what they are willing to do.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    Splendid job! That looks great with your kilt and the hose and shoes work very well indeed.
    Thanks very much for saying so!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ObiSeanKenobi View Post
    Is that waistcoat self-backed or some kind of satin/rayon/synthetic? I've had a really hard time finding anything with a full tweed back.
    USA Kilts (who else?) offers vests with an optional tweed back:
    https://www.usakilts.com/tweed-vest.html
    When in doubt, end with a jig. - Robin McCauley

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that if you're going to wear the waistcoat under a jacket you want the satin back because with the satin-on-satin the jacket and waistcoat can smoothly move as you move.

Thing is, Pipe Bands nowadays usually wear waistcoats alone. Bands perform with their backs towards the audience, and the satin fades and discolours over time.

So, bands have tended to want waistcoats with matching fabric front and rear (generally Barathea).

About made-to-measure, make sure the tailor is absolutely clear how they will interpret the measurements you provide.

I've encountered, both with kilts and jackets, UK makers adding 2 to 6 inches to the measurements I've given them.

In fact with kilt jackets I get a better fit ordering standard sizes off-the-peg. Happily my proportions match the standard ones.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 12th January 22 at 05:55 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    My understanding is that if you're going to wear the waistcoat under a jacket you want the satin back because with the satin-on-satin the jacket and waistcoat can smoothly move as you move.

Thing is, Pipe Bands nowadays usually wear waistcoats alone. [...]
    My reasoning for wanting a self-backed waistcoat is exactly because I want something I can wear without a jacket. My ideal situation would probably be a jacket with two matching (or odd) waistcoats, one self-backed and one satin-backed.

I've encountered, both with kilts and jackets, UK makers adding 2 to 6 inches to the measurements I've given them.

In fact with kilt jackets I get a better fit ordering standard sizes off-the-peg. Happily my proportions match the standard ones.
    I'm a stock-standard 40R in US sizing, which has worked out well for purchasing OTR suits and coats, except in the odd case when the sleeves are disproportionately long or short from the manufacturer.
    Sapienter • Si • Sincere

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, I'd recommend you talk with Kathy Lare of Kathy's Kilts in Albuquerque, NM. I've purchased 15 of her kilts now and never a flaw.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    I'm looking to have a kilt jacket made. I'm thinking either a braemar or argyle cuff in tweed or barathea. I was thinking having St. Kildas make it, but I would love any other recommendations the Rabble may have.
    Last year when I was gearing up for our wedding I had my PC jacket and vest done by St.Kildas via Kinnaird in Saskatoon. Turned out fantastic! No regrets here!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R100PDave View Post
    I had my PC jacket and vest done by St.Kilda via Kinnaird in Saskatoon. Turned out fantastic!
    I ordered a jacket directly from the St Kilda Shop, which is the same firm as Gaelic Themes, and R G Hardie.

They followed my chest measurement but added 6 inches to the waist, going against both their own size chart and the measurement I gave them.

They also made it "long" though I didn't ask for that.

When I contacted them they said custom orders couldn't be returned.

Possibly better to order through local shop like you did, perhaps the shop knew how to phrase the order to get St Kilda to make the correct size.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tweed jacket from Gaelic Themes fit perfectly, and that was because I ordered it through Freedom Kilts, and Steve measured me up.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast