X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any kilt friendly places in the Seattle area?

I’m visiting my brother and his family in Woodinville, Wa just outside of Seattle for Christmas and New Years. Are there any Scottish or more generally Celtic places to see or do? Pubs? Kilt shops? Etc?
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't recommend a specific place, but I will say that Seattle is remarkably kilt-friendly. It's the home of Utilikilts, as well as a relatively large Scottish population. If you're at all into Utilty kilts, it's worth checking out the UK store. Enjoy your time there!

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no kilt shops to speak of in the area anymore.
    As far as pubs that are kilt friendly, yup.
    Not much on the eastside (woodinville, bellevue, redmond, etc., but there's a few in Seattle. Kell's in Post Alley is great, and the Chieftain in Capitol Hill would be on my list. Also the Rhein Haus right next to the Chieftain even though it's a bavarian beerstube. A Terrible Beauty is gone now I'm sorry to say. The Old Peculiar is still around but has fallen a bit to the paddytrap end of things so I'd give it a miss.
    Hit up Kell's and wander around Pike Place Market for a while before grabbing a pint and some decent shepherds pie. Pat has a great selection of whiskies too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah, there is the utilikilts flagship store if you're into that stuff. There's another kilt shop "liberty kilts" if you google stuff, but it's not what you're looking for. Really...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    No kilt shops to speak of in the area anymore.
    It's sad, I think, because in pre-Internet days The Scottish Shopper was the USA's go-to mail-order place for Highland Dress and piping supplies.

Back in 1975 my first set of pipes, my first sporran, my first Mackie bonnet, and the tartan that my Grandmother made my kilt from all came from Jack Ironside MBE and his lovely wife.

And in recent years The Tartan Thistle on Whidbey Island, owned by the charming Maureen Lee and Angus MacDonald, were a fixture at our West Coast Highland Games.

So there's nothing there now? With all the piping activity in the area one would think a brick-and-mortar Highland Outfitter would be necessary. Perhaps the Internet has killed those off.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd December 21 at 04:54 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about Seattle

I wear mine everywhere and I've never been anywhere that wasn't kilt friendly (except for our church, the Mormon church. The first time we wore them to our ward (what a congregation is called) the bishop informed my boys they were inappropriate dressed for church. It wasn't the last time he proved he was an idiot)