X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan Temptation

On a recent visit to Edinburgh I spotted this bolt of tartan. It's an unusual version of MacFarlane tartan (basically a weathered hunting).

Now I don't need another kilt - but the price per metre looks quite good (about 1/2 of what I would usually expect - it's the left over from a custom run) - and I have been thinking about maybe getting a more casual 5 yard kilt for guiding work etc when I might spend 8 to 12 hours a day on the road.

With that in mind I was kind of think of Weathered Douglas or Hunting Manx.

But maybe this version of MacFarlane is a game-changer, there is enough for a vest too Decisions, decisions...
    Last edited by Tomo; 16th December 21 at 04:46 AM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would prefer that Farquarson myself, due to not recalling seeing it done in those striking colours before.

That Douglas, though lovely, has an off-the-peg feel to me due to being often seen as a Hire tartan.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright I am "old school" and with an "old school" piece of advice still ringing in my ears loudly that one needs to, "divorce need from necessity". Then why, oh why do you need another kilt?

Yes, yes, I know it is your money and your choice and its a free world etc., etc., etc., etc., but why? How many kilts do you need? How many kilts can you wear at a time? I am saying all of the above with my tongue placed firmly in my cheek from a deep bunker, but behind the "Jockularity" there is a mildly serious point to be made.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Alright I am "old school" and with an "old school" piece of advice still ringing in my ears loudly that one needs to, "divorce need from necessity". Then why, oh why do you need another kilt?

Yes, yes, I know it is your money and your choice and its a free world etc., etc., etc., etc., but why? How many kilts do you need? How many kilts can you wear at a time? I am saying all of the above with my tongue placed firmly in my cheek from a deep bunker, but behind the "Jockularity" there is a mildly serious point to be made.
    I agree - I don't need another kilt and it ain't necessary.

My first kilt is 20 odd years old and still going strong (a fully expected) - but I have picked up a couple of extras on the way.

One because it was cheap and I had piled on some timber (since lost) when I first stopped playing rugby. My brother now has this one as his old kilt seams to have shrunk in the wardrobe. Then about 2 years ago, on the off-chance, I saw another clan kilt advertised, again for a good price, so I thought why not and it gives me a choice between the red and green versions. Shortly after, I started do some guiding work and picked up a couple of ex-rentals, mainly as I don't want to "risk" my good kilts - but it also means I am not wearing the same get up for every tour, function or promo event etc.

I do like this tartan though...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. This must be a modern idea? When I grew up, one tartan was expected to do everything and if one was lucky, the new kilt ----perhaps some thirty years old was worn for smart events ----------and the old kilt, perhaps a hand-me-down ---------was worn for the more rough and tumble days, such as shooting, fishing or some such event. Although some, a very few, might have had a "dress" tartan for evening do's. Wearing more than one civilian Clan tartan was an absolute no-no and something that could be usefully brought back into fashion, in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 16th December 21 at 12:14 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe - I'm sure my Grandad only had one suit - and that was kept for Sunday best - but when I was in private practice I typically had 3 to 5 suits at any time and wore them in rotation (I would also normally buy one or two extra pairs of trouser to extend their longevity - although I still ended up with a cupboard full of odd jackets).

The ex-rentals for me fill the role of the hand-me-downs for the more rough and tumble days - my younger brother is the lucky recipient of my hand-me-downs. The only civilian clan tartan either of us has worn is MacFarlane.