X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evening Wear Ensemble

So, I've been putting together this evening ensemble slowly over the past few years. Recently, I purchased the belt buckle from OC Richard and a patent leather belt from L&M Highland Outfitters to complete the ensemble. (I neglected to wear my sgian dubh when snapping the photos.) I've shown how the outfit looks with the black bow tie and with the lace jabot and cuffs.

Other items of interest include:

Vintage Balmoral Doublet by McLaren (Glasgow, Scotland)
    Goat Hair Sporran Moloch by Margaret Morrison Ltd (Perth, Scotland), with a Sterling Silver armiger crest badge by silversmith Jason Bellchamber (London, ON, Canada)
    MacDonald Lord of the Isles Hunting Tartan kilt by Burnett's and Struth (Barrie, ON, Canada)
    Bespoke Tartan Hose by Gail Piché (Hamilton, ON, Canada)

There is a thistle motif on the cantle, the buckle, my buttons and my show buckles, and the shoes, belt, and sporran cantle all have patent leather.

I tend to pay a bit more attention to coordinating these details with evening wear than I would with day wear.

Hope you enjoy.
    Last edited by Nathan; 20th December 21 at 04:14 PM.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New outfit

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    So, I've been putting together this evening ensemble slowly over the past few years. Recently, I purchased the belt buckle from OC Richard and a patent leather belt from L&M Highland Outfitters to complete the ensemble. (I neglected to wear my sgian dubh when snapping the photos.) I've shown how the outfit looks with the black bow tie and with the lace jabot and cuffs.

Goat Hair Sporran Moloch by Margaret Morrison Ltd (Perth. Scotland), with a Sterling Silver armiger crest badge by silversmith Jason Bellchamber of London, ON
    MacDonald Lord of the Isles Hunting Tartan kilt by Burnett's and Struth, Barrie, ON
    Bespoke Tartan Hose by Gail Piché of Hamilton, ON Canada

There is a thistle motif on the cantle, the buckle, my buttons and my show buckles, and the shoes, belt, and sporran cantle all have patent leather.

I tend to pay a bit more attention to coordinating these details with evening wear than I would with day wear.

Hope you enjoy.

Well done Nathan.

A very wonderful expression of Highland finery ...and it looks great on you.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a beautiful outfit, I have to say. Where did you find your jabot et cuffs?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very smart. Although, dare I suggest a velvet black jacket instead. Why? Well, the outfit is very green.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Very smart. Although, dare I suggest a velvet black jacket instead. Why? Well, the outfit is very green.
    Thanks. I’m fine with the greenness of the outfit. Chacun à son goût. It’s quite like what my High Chief wears with his evening wear, a bottle green Balmoral doublet with the same tartan kilt.

If I want to change it up, I can always wear my Clanranald Modern kilt and hose, or of course, my black Prince Charlie coatee for less formal black tie occasions.
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

Goat Hair Sporran Moloch by Margaret Morrison Ltd (Perth, Scotland), with a Sterling Silver armiger crest badge by silversmith Jason Bellchamber (London, ON, Canada)
    MacDonald Lord of the Isles Hunting Tartan kilt by Burnett's and Struth (Barrie, ON, Canada)
    Bespoke Tartan Hose by Gail Piché (Hamilton, ON, Canada)

Hope you enjoy.
    where/how did you get in contact with Gail for your bespoke hose? I cant seem to find her online
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Logan View Post
    where/how did you get in contact with Gail for your bespoke hose? I cant seem to find her online
    gailpiche@bell.net

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A wonderful outfit, the only shame is that there are no events yet. I'd love to see this in person. Well done.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done laddie! I particularly like the jabot version.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that is a splendid doublet..!

But mainly as I have almost exactly the same garment in an almost identical shade of green - only mine has plain silver buttons (completely smooth) and I find the collar prefers to stand, rather than lie flat as you have yours. The bulk of my jabot pushes against the lapels to keep them open, but they have sufficient resistance to support the jabot.

I have not thought of wearing it with a black tie (a regulation doublet does that duty) but I might now be tempted to try, seeing how yours has worked.

Another difference is that mine has a five button closure, with four silver 'show' and the bottom one plain as it is hidden under the belt.

Also, mine gets worn with an essentially red tartan kilt, with matching tartan hose - so I trust it would pass Jock's 'too green' test..!

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast