X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your sporran is as general purpose as anyone could find.

I have noticed over the years on this website a trend of overthinking these sporran details and there does appear to me a certain amount of sporran snobbery taking place. Yes, for a rare white tie event then something a tad fancier than your sporran would be more appropriate and again, yes, your sporran might be considered by some as rather too formal for a stroll in the countryside. However, on both accounts your sporran would happily get you by.

In real life who is going to know? Who is going to notice? Who is going to care? Who is going to comment? Alright, perhaps some on this website might voice an opinion from a theoretical stance, but in real life not a word would be said. Why? Because your sporran ticks all but the ultra formal event's, boxes effectively.

As an afterthought. Please, please, please do not describe your sporran as being "semi-formal"!!!!!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 4th January 22 at 07:35 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    As an afterthought. Please, please, please do not describe your sporran as being "semi-formal"!!!!!
    Umm... in the real world, other than in retail and rental/hire... what IS that?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Umm... in the real world, other than in retail and rental/hire... what IS that?
    I have absolutely no idea!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have absolutely no idea!
    I think it may be related to being 'semi-pregnant' or 'semi-dead'.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I think it may be related to being 'semi-pregnant' or 'semi-dead'.
    Precisely!........................................ .................................................. .........................I think.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the greatest respect, I think you and others here on this website worry too much about civilian sporran formalities. Yes there are extremes that are entirely appropriate on occasion but on the whole wear whatever sporran that you happen to like and get on with life.
    Jock, every time I worry about which sporran to wear I try to remember that my Dad has owned one sporran his entire life.

12. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Jock, every time I worry about which sporran to wear I try to remember that my Dad has owned one sporran his entire life.
    Yes! I remember those situations well, even from some forty years ago. I solved the problem by dividing my quite large store of inherited sporrans, some of them were quite smart, amongst family and friends and using just one sporran for almost everything. I did though, reserve the right to borrow one back, should I really need one, from my sons. I did keep a smart silver sporran chain for the smarter events with my one sporran. Thus far, in the last forty years, the "new" system has not let me down.

I fully realise that attire choices on this website can take on discussions about minute detail and of course that is fair enough, but in real life these minute details are rarely relevant. Perhaps you ought to consider following your Dad's traditional path with his sporran?

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock, my dad can always borrow a sporran or kilt from me if he wishes. As for following his lead on sporrans I honestly think I’m at the point where any new sporran purchase would have to be very special indeed and tend to wear the same sporran for most occasions.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About tassels, only one of my current sporrans has them:

I don't mind the leather tassels, which seem secure and rarely fall off.

But the ball & chain Evening tassels are another story! Being in the Pipe Band world, if a band wears Evening sporrans with those ball & chain tassels it appears to be mathematically impossible for every sporran to have all three tassels intact.

At a Games I saw a "band mom" with one Pipe Band carrying a box of tassels, for last-minute replacements as the band was about to march up to The Line.

Other bands have solved the issue by having everybody remove their tassels. (Some bands have done the same with their touries, for the same reason.)

I think it's why the vast majority of Pipe Bands wear those black leather Hunting Sporrans with the chrome tops, seen in my photo above. There's nothing to fall off. (Mine is by Nicoll Brothers Bankfoot, with a nickel-plated top.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 4th January 22 at 03:40 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you could always thing of the tassels like a regimental pace drummer as you walk.

Usually very young boys to keep the pace as the troops marched.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

20. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast