X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front apron deep pleat

First I want to express my great appreciation for all the advice I've received.

Now to the meat and potatoes. After all the prior planning I started to lay out my pleats. I've gone over them three or four times to make sure I'm not missing anything. Everything seemed to be working according to plan so far. I started with 29 pleats which is what I expected. After laying out the aprons and the pleats I found that there was only six inches of material between the first pleat and the left edge of the front apron at the hip. That is on the small side of the scale of 6" - 9" mentioned in TAoK. Additionally, I found that the sett doesn't carry over smoothly from the front apron to the first pleat. The same occurred with the under apron and the reverse pleat material on that side.

So I tried reducing the the number of pleats from 29 to 27. The sett carries over nicely from the front apron to the pleated section. Great! However, I now have 15" of material between the first pleat and the left edge of the front apron at the hip. On the under apron side the material is at the top side of the scale for the last pleat and reverse pleat. And the sett carries over nicely on this side too.

So I guess my question is, at what point do I consider a hidden pleat on the front apron deep pleat? With 15" of material there for the deep pleat, that pleat will only be slightly more than one third, by .5 inches, of the width of the apron. Is that to big for a deep pleat?

Thanks,

Fyrbrd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I have no intention of making a kilt, a very interesting read.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preparing my first kilt too!

Hi there! Just read through this thread and lots of helpful nuggets as I prepare my grandpas kilt. One big question though: what is the TAoK? And where can I find it?

I am sure after reading that all of my questions that arose from this thread will be answered. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaughterOfMacal View Post
    Hi there! Just read through this thread and lots of helpful nuggets as I prepare my grandpas kilt. One big question though: what is the TAoK? And where can I find it?

I am sure after reading that all of my questions that arose from this thread will be answered. Thanks!
    The Art of Kiltmaking by forum member Barbara Tewksbury. Available wherever books are sold.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrbrd View Post
    So I guess my question is, at what point do I consider a hidden pleat on the front apron deep pleat? With 15" of material there for the deep pleat, that pleat will only be slightly more than one third, by .5 inches, of the width of the apron. Is that to big for a deep pleat?

Thanks,

Fyrbrd
    I’m not, by any stretch, a professional kilt maker, like Barb or Steve, I’ve only made 6 traditional kilts, so far. However, I have purposely made the deep and hidden pleats, in some of my kilts, larger than the minimum suggested in TAOKM, ( as my waist measurement has fluctuated since my 20’s ;0). I don’t think 1/2” will make a noticeable difference, and will just provide a wee bit extra, for any potential future rebuilds.
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    !
    You an buy TAOKM directly from Barb’s website:
    http://artofkiltmaking.com/
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazon has TAoK

I just got one on Amazon in about 3 days.... best of luck with your kilt project!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12