X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Hello from Alexandria, Virginia!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BruceModernTartan_100x.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	41158

I came across this board looking for a guidance with a terribly embarrassing problem: the drumming from the balls on my sporran drives my wife crazy. I only just bought my first kilt a few weeks ago and I wasn't sure if this was something I was supposed to do something about. Then I came across @KennithSime;'s sporran thread, and discovered the obvious answer: I just need to buy more sporrans!

My mother's father was William Bruce. I grew up surrounded by lots of Bruce tartan (and, as a kid) a child-sized set of bagpipes that I played with great gusto but little skill. Most of the interest in my grandfather's Scottish heritage came from his wife, my grandmother (who herself was of English and Welsh heritage), I believe because she believed her husband was a direct descendent of Robert the Bruce. It wasn't until long after both my grandparents had passed that I finally got interested in genealogy, and eventually traced my grandfather's lineage to a George Brush born 1633 in Perth, Scotland (who might've been the son of a minor earl, no obvious connection to the Big Bruce himself), followed by 10 generations of Bruces (all named George, John, or William) settling first in the Massachusetts colony, later Philadelphia and then New Jersey.

I currently reside in Alexandria, Virginia, which was founded by three scotsmen in 1749 and continues to lean hard into its Scottish heritage. Every December they have a parade called the Scottish Walk -- kilts, bagpipes, and (for some reason) a lot of dogs. For years my wife and I would attend, and she would always remark how good she thought I would look in a kilt. Every year I would think about buying one, thinking it would be awesome to have it for the Walk, and every year I would remember too late. It wasn't until last November that i finally got my act together. I worked with the fine folks at USA Kilts to put together a semi-formal package, paid for express processing and priority shipping, and finally got everything just the week before the weekend of the parade. Only to find out that the woman who usually handles registration for the Bruce clan hadn't gotten the papers in in time. So I didn't march, but I did wander around in my kilt and jacket (passed on the fly plaid, cuz I still need a brooch pin).

I've since found a few other occasions to wear the tartan. Christmas day. New Year's eve. a night out at our local theatre (and hanging at the bar afterwards with friends). Decided not to for a funeral of a good friend, wouldn't have been appropriate. Looking for more.

My wife definitely approves (other than the sporran ball drumming). She probably thinks I'm a bit crazy with all this, and she's likely right (she usually is). Hoping to find here a community of like-minded kilt-wearers who can support my enthusiasm. And, perhaps, help me dampen those balls a bit.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to phalverson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, from Inverness-shire.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in the English midlands.
    I had a similar problem with noisy tassels on the sporran - easily solved with a few drops of glue!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from the Home of the Blues!
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the “Great Rabble”!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Wheaton Maryland!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by phalverson View Post

I came across this board looking for a guidance with a terribly embarrassing problem: the drumming from the balls on my sporran drives my wife crazy.
    There are many types of sporrans that don't have that issue.

For example, when you have braided leather tassels on a fur-fronted sporran the tassel-bouncing is silent or nearly so

Hunting sporrans generally have these little tabs rather than tassels, they're attached and silent

Hunting sporrans can be in black, and can have fur, making them a bit dressier

And there are leather sporrans which simply don't have tassels

Last edited by OC Richard; 18th January 22 at 05:52 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: