X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to drift too far with the topic but I don't even own a wristwatch anymore. If I wear a watch, it's a pocket watch (with either Highland or Saxon attire) on a simple chain. I have two such beasts, a very cheap one that has various Masonic emblems on the face, and a nicer one that has the characters from the comic show Mystery Science Theater 3000 on the face. Both look nice and proper when closed; it's only when opened that the latter's comic nature becomes apparent; usually giving a chuckle to anyone standing next to me when I check the time.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I really like about the Gentleman's Gazette

As I mentioned before about the Gentleman's Gazette , I enjoy their videos on Youtube.

I don't agree with everything they espouse.

For instance, silk flower boutonnières are perfectly fine, yet walking sticks are costume pieces? C'mon on!!!

I really appreciate that in a great number of their videos they show and explain a fashion "rule" and then they will note those that broke those rules and how it worked for them. They also often state that they don't want people just slavishly following their opinions. Raphael and crew espouse knowing the rules but also that true style requires the confidence and individual's own personal stamp on their attire (which sometimes involves breaking those rules!) The three main presenters all have differing takes on classic men's style and how to incorporate it into their own outfits. I think there is an awful lot of good information to be had from the GG.

After all, the world is far more interesting with boutonnières and walking sticks!

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 24th January 22 at 03:04 PM.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no rules for kilt attire————-I will stick to just kilt attire for this post——————-but there are aesthetics, convention, local knowledge, tradition and personal flair to consider if one wants to cut a dash with one’s kilt attire. The combination of those fairly loose guidelines are not always an easy formula to get right and frankly experience does help no end to get the look of one’s kilt attire looking as though one was born to it. Particularly as many of those viewing the end result don’t really understand the requirements.

There are also obstacles that do not help the newcomer in particular to achieve a high level of sartorial elegance. Ignorance, wishful thinking, lack of experience and doubtful( misleading even) internet pictures all hinder the newcomer to kilt attire in making the correct attire choices.

Not only that, but there are also the opinions of those viewing the end result that inevitably will be many and various. So not an easy path for the less experienced kilt wearer.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 24th January 22 at 03:43 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    Not to drift too far with the topic but I don't even own a wristwatch anymore. ...
    I own a bunch of watches. I took up fixing watches when everything shut down due to COVID. I have a few pocket watches too. One is a gold plated quartz Seiko. I just had to have it when I found out it existed. I like to wear it in the watch pocket in my jeans. I also have a KGB Meritorious Service Award watch. It is chrome plated hunter case with a gold face. Don't ask me how it got to a thrift store for next to nothing. They must have not looked at it very carefully. I did not have to fix it. I just wound it and it tells time like a quartz watch.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked and I think the pockets on my Prince Charlie waistcoat are false. Doesn't look like basting.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chalk it up to personal flair but if I'm wearing a waistcoat 9 times out of 10 I'll be wearing a pocket watch. For formal wear it's silver, for daywear it's brass.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

There are no rules for kilt attire, but there are aesthetics, convention, tradition...
    Seems to me that's a distinction lost on many people in the USA, to whom "no rules" means "no aesthetics, no convention, no tradition".
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Seems to me that's a distinction lost on many people in the USA, to whom "no rules" means "no aesthetics, no convention, no tradition".
    I am afraid to say that I had drawn that same conclusion some while ago, which does make explanations from this side of the Atlantic a tad difficult on occasion.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 7th February 22 at 04:22 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123