X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltedjohn View Post
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in the English midlands.
    I have Clarks (from Perthshire) in my tree, but then it's a very common name!!
    Thank you John! I don't know much about the Clark side other than a few names. My first kilt I purchased was in 9th grade. I hadn't really thought about any ancestry because I didn't think I had any. Do you thin it's still ok to wear a tartan of that clan if I"m not sure?

Also, I found a way to create your own Tartan and have been fiddling around. I noticed there was a Norwegian - Scottish Association! I thought that was very cool!

Thanks for the hello and have a wonderful day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all this info! I'm definitely not in a hurry to make a massive purchase. My goal now is to find a Kilt, Socks and whatever else I'd need to look a bit more official when playing. I have found some Clark Tartans - I do like the Ancient the best - and have designed a few tartan patterns that I like. The colors I'm choosing have to do with what my wife and I have been around our whole lives.. Earth, Water, Minerals and some red and white for our Scandinavian heritage. I'm not sure if it's "Rude" to design a tartan that isn't entirely for a clan from Scotland or not?

Appreciate all the guidance and information! Thanks again!

Mikey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicWookie View Post
    Thank you for all this info! I'm definitely not in a hurry to make a massive purchase. My goal now is to find a Kilt, Socks and whatever else I'd need to look a bit more official when playing. I have found some Clark Tartans - I do like the Ancient the best - and have designed a few tartan patterns that I like. The colors I'm choosing have to do with what my wife and I have been around our whole lives.. Earth, Water, Minerals and some red and white for our Scandinavian heritage. I'm not sure if it's "Rude" to design a tartan that isn't entirely for a clan from Scotland or not?

Appreciate all the guidance and information! Thanks again!

Mikey
    There is a Viking Heritage tartan that was registered just last year. https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/ta...ails?ref=13348
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    There is a Viking Heritage tartan that was registered just last year. https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/ta...ails?ref=13348

YES! Norwegian Night is the one I saw - If that's it?! It was registered I think in 2014 maybe? Very nice looking indeed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Father Bill!

Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Welcome to the “Great Rabble”!

Cheap advice: Wait. Read lots here. Then read more. Wait until you’re fairly confident that you’re buying the right stuiff, then buy the kilt, hose, sporran, all good quality then stop and wait.

Take a look at OC Richard’s kit in his own pictures here (not his historical stuff, what he wear himself.) He does a lot of what you’re trying to do, and does it well. Take a look at Steve Ashton’s outfit too. They’re both simple. Then find the “One kilt, ten looks” thread too.

You don’t need to go thousands of dollars. Simple is best. I’m a sporran collector, but you really only need one or maybe two fairly simple sporrans. (Stay away from what they call ‘semi formal - they’re neither fish nor fowl although some guys like them.)

Stick with a few quality pieces. You can build later if you wish, but if you buy a whole lot at bargain prices, you’ll just end up buying quality later and wasting a lot of money in the process.

Welcome then, and good luck. Just read a lot before you spend a lot.

Thank you SO much for this information.. Is it silly to ask the reputable places that I should look for instead of maybe other - cheaper - places? I'm only interested in starting slow.. One kilt, One Sporran... waist down type stuff.

So thankful for you guidance!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been searching for the proper kilt outfit for a piper. I’ve been playing bagpipes a short while now and was hoping to look the part when I’m ready to go out and play in front of others.
    First, welcome!

About piping attire, most pipers play in bands and follow the standard modern Pipe Band dress.

This outfit evolved in the 1980s and has changed a bit over the years since then.

Now the standard uniform worn by serious competition Pipe Bands all over the world is:

-black Glengarry
    -black Barathea waistcoat (recently tweeds, in charcoal grey and deep blue, have also become popular)
    -white or light blue shirt
    -long necktie
    -traditional 8-yard all-wool kilt
    -black leather Hunting sporran with chrome cantle
    -black, dark blue, or charcoal grey kilt-hose
    -black Ghillie brogues.

Here's a couple Grade One bands:

This one is wearing sealskin Evening sporrans, also popular:

Back 20 years ago the bands all looked like this, with Argyll jackets and white hose:

Back 50 or 60 years ago the bands all looked like this, in semi-military-style Full Dress:

I wear modern Pipe Band kit when playing in the band, but for solo gigs I prefer wearing modern traditional Highland Dress:

Last edited by OC Richard; 17th January 22 at 09:01 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES! Norwegian Night is the one I saw - If that's it?! It was registered I think in 2014 maybe? Very nice looking indeed!
    The one I linked to was only registered last year(2021).
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you thin it's still ok to wear a tartan of that clan if I"m not sure?
    I reckon you're absolutely OK to wear that tartan, especially if you have people of that name in your tree. You'll find in this forum people are often accused of "over-thinking" on such matters.
    Thanks for your reply, and happy kilting!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12