X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pakistani horsehair sporrans

I have a question for anyone who owns a cheap($100 or so) horsehair sporran. I've been thinking about getting a horsehair sporran but I can't really justify the cost of a real one. I was thinking a cheapish one probably from Pakistan might work for the few times I would wear it. Can you easily tell they are not real horsehair? Do they look cheaply made? I know I can't expect the quality of a $400 sporran for $100, but I would like to avoid something that looks too tacky.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with Pakistani horsehair sporrans but I do have a vintage horsehair sporran I found for $75.

I'd say some patience and searching would probably give you a much better sporran for about the same price.

Shane

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My comment would be that Pakistani products represent a massive range of qualities. Some of them are very close to anyone else's. Others are better consigned to the trash heap. It's a pretty big risk.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Pakistani horsehair sporran that's quite well-made.

As was mentioned you'll see a huge range in quality from Sialkot, from things sometimes difficult to distinguish from UK-made things, to utter tat.

Let me know, I can send you a new never-worn well-made horsehair Pakistani sporran for the cost of shipping.

It's a loosely-based copy of a Royal Scots Dragoon Guards piper's sporran, grey real-horsehair hair body with mingled black & red long tassels, three knobs on the chrome thistle cantle. The entire body opens, it's super roomy.

This is exactly like the one I have https://www.ebay.com/itm/17331946268...EAAOSwzhxa-s4H
    Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd January 22 at 08:36 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I have a Pakistani horsehair sporran that's quite well-made.

As was mentioned you'll see a huge range in quality from Sialkot, from things sometimes difficult to distinguish from UK-made things, to utter tat.

Let me know, I can send you a new never-worn well-made horsehair Pakistani sporran for the cost of shipping.

It's a loosely-based copy of a Royal Scots Dragoon Guards piper's sporran, grey real-horsehair hair body with mingled black & red long tassels, three knobs on the chrome thistle cantle. The entire body opens, it's super roomy.

This is exactly like the one I have https://www.ebay.com/itm/17331946268...EAAOSwzhxa-s4H
    PM sent. Thank you again.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.