X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, from Inverness-shire.

You have had sound advice above. However, many traditional thinking Scots stick to just one tartan and avoid the ghillie brogues like the plague. A pair of ordinary well polished black lace up brogues or, well polished black "Oxfords" do the job quite satisfactorily for all but the most formal of formal events. Steve has already covered the wearing of miniatures with civilian kilt attire at the appropriate time and he is quite right, but it is a point that is sometimes forgotten by some.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd January 22 at 04:07 AM. Reason: found my glasses.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum from Western Canada!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd advise putting yourself mentally into the situation where you'd be wearing your kilt and thinking about what that would feel like with the different options.
    You have the advantage of having already made one expedition which might help to throw some light on the matter.
    The only thought I have is that when visiting this part of the world you are very unlikely to encounter anyone referencing their military service in any setting not relevant to that service - and even then, not always.
    I'd also advise not making it a costume but go with more ordinary items of clothing - the ghillie brogues is a good point. My dad wore brogues as his smart shoes, but they were just a type of shoe. You'd be wearing your kilt with the items apt for the setting for formal dinners, of course, but even there a full highland outfit might be overdoing things.
    I might be influenced by what is becoming not all that unusual here, on the South cost of England, of the kilt worn as everyday clothing with smart casual commonplace shirt, tie and shoes, plain or ribbed hose - or in the height of summer polo shirt and sandals with a brimmed canvas hat.
    This is just a thought - an observation on what is usual these days.

Anne the Pleater
    Last edited by Pleater; 23rd January 22 at 05:44 AM.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think, given that you are planning to be working in Scotland, that choosing the QMU tartan might be an option that would be more likely to recognized by other former students, locally ( in Scotland), and thus be more likely to possibly introduce you to, and perhaps lead to new friends?

I would also like to suggest that an option would be to purchase the needed kilting tartan from the lone retail store, but have the kilt made elsewhere, as a possible way of saving a few pounds/ Euros? I would strongly suggest that you have your kilt made with heavyweight/16 oz fabric, as I believe that you will find it, in the long term, makes a kilt that has a much nicer sway to the pleats.
    Good luck with your future kilting.
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Nebraska, and I agree with Steve.
    The event dictates the wear.
    DunRovinStation.blogspot.com (non-monetized or affiliated)
    Muir, MacKendrick-Henderson, Campbell, Clarke, Gordon, Cameron, Chattan,
    Galt, Euen, Slowan(Sloan), Tyndings, Ramsey, Stewart, MacAlistar

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by clubmanager View Post

...the Kilt and an Army Mess Uniform jacket...
    Having never served in the Army I don't know what the protocol is for wearing parts of Army uniform with civilian attire.

Would you wear a US Army jacket with khaki cargo shorts? If the answer is "no" I would think that answers the question about wearing your US Army Mess Dress jacket with anything other than the trousers that by supposed to be worn with it.

However I see US Army and USMC veterans do that all the time. I suspect that comes from the common American thing of mixing up Highland civilian attire with Highland military uniform.

The truth is that in Highland attire there's just as clear a distinction between Highland military uniform and Highland civilian attire as there is between US military uniform and US civilian suits and casual attire.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th January 22 at 05:35 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Everyone....not only is my immediate dilemma addressed but also future moves. To sum it up; keep it 'real', appropriate to the occasion/ standards and comfortable in both wear and mindset...yes?

Above all, thanks for the Welcome.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to clubmanager For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I'd advise putting yourself mentally into the situation where you'd be wearing your kilt and thinking about what that would feel like with the different options.
    You have the advantage of having already made one expedition which might help to throw some light on the matter.
    The only thought I have is that when visiting this part of the world you are very unlikely to encounter anyone referencing their military service in any setting not relevant to that service - and even then, not always.
    I'd also advise not making it a costume but go with more ordinary items of clothing - the ghillie brogues is a good point. My dad wore brogues as his smart shoes, but they were just a type of shoe. You'd be wearing your kilt with the items apt for the setting for formal dinners, of course, but even there a full highland outfit might be overdoing things.
    I might be influenced by what is becoming not all that unusual here, on the South cost of England, of the kilt worn as everyday clothing with smart casual commonplace shirt, tie and shoes, plain or ribbed hose - or in the height of summer polo shirt and sandals with a brimmed canvas hat.
    This is just a thought - an observation on what is usual these days.

Anne the Pleater
    Thanks for the feedback. Above all else, I DO NOT want to come across as disrespectful or that this should be viewed as a costume. Actually, that's why I'm asking too many questions!
    All the advice provided will be taken to heart, I can 100% assure you. And as to Ghillie Brogues; I've never worn them and sounds like never will!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clubmanager View Post
    Actually, that's why I'm asking too many questions!
    No such thing! It's why we enjoy XMarks!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12