X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Burns Supper Attire choice?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kilt, waistcoat and tie

8 100.00%
  • Black Suit and Tartan Necktie

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well done. You have appear to have worked out your attire perfectly to fit the event.

Next year you will perhaps have you tartan kilt and tweed jacket , which is smart or suit equivalent. Remember to then leave the tartan tie off and choose an other style of tie. Perhaps a club/college/university/old school style striped tie?
    Thanks! Yes, I hope to have my Queen Margaret University tartan by then and pair it with a QMU tie I have that is simply striped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    I'd go with the kilt.

Burns' suppers can be pretty informal - and those I have been to have had a fairly wide standard fo dress.

Now the last 2 have been in Estonia. The first even included a Scottish Breeds dog show as part of the proceedings and a pretty wild and free-flowing ceilidh - and Burns reading in Estonia - but a great tutored whisky tasting!! Sure there were folk in full highland fig, some in kilts & jumpers and others in suit jackets & jeans - great fun and no-one was overly bothered about what anyone else was wearing. The second was a bit more upscale and even with a black argyll jacket and tie I was one of the more under-dressed (along with a couple of guys in tweed jackets) - most of the guests had really pushed the boat out - but as there weren't any kilt kops or fashion police on duty - all was well and we didn't feel out of place - the focus was more on the big charity auction, a good band to finish and plenty of whisky - which all made for a good night.
    Thanks Tomo, I think that with what I have on hand, it might be too informal; really think I should wear a jacket of some sort. So, I'll go black suit and Army Tartan tie for this event. Still, I have the other stuff at work so if a large part of the guests arrive in informal dress and/or kilts, I may head to my office for a mid-performance wardrobe change....in private....not like Janet Jackson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The long and short......
    Out First Annual Burns Supper was a smashing success! Even our resident Scotsman and his Lovely Irish Bride were impressed and I do suspect we will continue the tradition going forward. While the food/drink were all fantastic, we received a lot of ‘love’ from them for the soda bread, which isn’t offered locally and if you find it, is subpar. This, coupled with piped Kerry Gold was damned fine, I’ll admit.

3 out of 50 people in Kilts (several men had real tartan ties and tartan scarves on the ladies) and with time to plan/execute for 2023, I’ll be sure to do so as well. Dress ranged all over the place which is fairly typical of my club; very low key.

I ended up wearing some black watch trousers I totally forgot about with black jacket and tie; regimental lapel pin. Since I’m a weightlifter, several people told me I looked like secret service but well put together.....even my Scotsman was impressed I seldom wear a tie as I look like 5lbs of Haggis in a 3lb. casing!

Thanks again for the support and advice. I’ll be sure to read and learn (lurk) here more often. Cheers!

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to clubmanager For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd settle for a Burns Supper. They are fading in my memory.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the Highlands of Oregon

I have to say, all the different suggestions on attire for a Burns Supper are encouraging in the sense that each correspondent is approaching the idea of attire respectful to the Bard of Scotland and the consolidated cultural evolution of Scotland. Having put on a few of these events I like to read of ideas expressed by others.

As regards our past events, attire was not mandated, dining out can mean many things to different people. For some, formal may imply clean Levi’s and polished boots. For the more sartorially enhanced, Kilt and Prince Charlie may be de riguer. On gent favored a great kilt, another a business suit. All is good. We just wanted every one to have a good time and return the next year.

By the way, as an ice-breaker I took some of Burns’ poetry and cut it into stanzas, each numbered and each guest received one upon entering. During the poetry session, I would call the section, in order by number, and the holder would rise and try to read their section in their best approximation of a Scottish accent. As these went in sequence they made a noble attempt on “To A Louse” and other timeless poetry by Burns.

The atmosphere was lightened by rigging the readings to the extent of making sure the more outgoing received the opening passages. This seemed to make even the non-native English speakers willing to give it a go. Lotsa laughs, no one embarrassed. A few toasts with the adult beverages helped soften fear before the readings.

If you prefer a more formal approach, I am sure you have a plan that would be worthy of attendance by most. It is either a chance for a theme party or an homage to Burns. Whichever you choose, Kilt Up or no, have fun!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I avoid Burns Nights as overtime I have never acquired a taste for Mr Burns writings or, haggis! However, I do think it’s nice for all attending any function and particularly for the ladies, that some efforts are made by those attending to dress to a certain standard. That will and does vary from event to event, so as a plea to the organisers of such events, for guidance of attire expectations would be helpful. It matters not if the event is casual, or, ultra formal, or, something in between, it helps all those attending to enjoy the event so much more if they are attired similarly.

And yes! It may take a year or six for the guests to get their attire sorted , but it will be worth it in the long run. So, gentle steering by the organisers would be helpful to all.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 11th July 22 at 11:22 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the years I have attended Burns Nights in all forms of Highland wear. One year I went to a Burns Night where my father was giving the Immortal Memory speech. I wore my kilt with a Prince Charlie jacket, he wore a dark suit with a tartan tie. Both of us looked appropriate for the evening. So with that in mind, I would say wear what you will be most comfortable with.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around here I see the same sameness for Burns Suppers, kilted weddings, and Kirking of the tartans: black Prince Charlie coatees, kilts that are too short, white hose that are too long, and black ghillies tied Viking-style for all.

Also dirks, plaids, and every sort of pin, badge, and brooch imaginable.

I'd welcome more gents in suits, frankly.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks but the event was last January....although I suspect we’ll have another this January. Since then, I’ve discovered my family (back to the mid 1300’s) was from County Dublin and also Wexford so I think I’ll break down and buy a proper kilt with the County Dublin tartan.
    Was just in Edinburgh 2 weeks ago and sadly lacked the time to find a kilt whilst there. However, I did find out about a vintage shop that carries them so I’ll reach out and get in a list for the Queen Margaret University tartan as I can’t afford Kinloch Anderson.

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I have never acquired a taste for Mr Burns writings...
    The worst part of it, here, is the usual situation where a person who can't pronounce Scots is stumbling through reading a Burns poem in Scots to an audience that doesn't understand Scots.

Sometimes they'll have a Scot who knows Scots read the poems, which then sound wonderful, but few in the audience get much meaning.

In general we Americans would be better served using English translations.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast