X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Burns Supper Attire choice?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kilt, waistcoat and tie

8 100.00%
  • Black Suit and Tartan Necktie

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accept the challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
    Came across this thread and found it interesting that the solitary Scottish member had no interest in Burns and his poetry and the remainder, mostly if not all, American contributors were more interested in what they should wear. Obviously anything remotely Scottish is seen as an opportunity to dress up in kilt outfits various irrespective of what I have found in other threads, namely that Scottish people do not generally celebrate Burns in this way. I am aware that this may fly in the face of the purpose of this forum but wonder if this interpretation of a different culture and society in such a way says more about the needs of those indulging in these fantasies than any genuine interest in the merits or otherwise of Burns and his poetry.
    I have to say that I find Ivor’s comment insightful and interesting. I am particularly taken with his observation regarding participant’s various attentions to other matters than the body of work by Burns. May I suggest that the reading of Burn’s works may in many cases be abused in the attempt, absent an understanding of the correct pronunciation of his recorded dialect. I can see where it would tend to trivialize the poetry, leaving people to fuss about with concerns over dress or other such diversions.

So to those Burns Night disaffected willing to put in the effort, I suggest as follows. In private read aloud one of his shorter pieces. Think about what he says and try it again. The more you work with it the more his intent may be revealed. Perhaps the collected works will offer more opportunities for going beyond the superficial delivery. Once you learn to follow the flow of the concept and begin to read as though it were written in your native tongue you might enjoy the journey.

I might suggest “Scots Wha Hae,” “To A Louse,” and “To A Mouse.” There is a perspective of another time and a man’s relationship in his daily life that may be totally alien to a resident of, say New York City. I actually enjoy looking through Rabbie’s eyes. Perhaps those of you who have not spent a bit ‘o time pondering his works will find something there.

I am reminded of the comments in another thread regarding folks coming to Scotland and being perplexed by pronunciation. Life gives us many opportunities to grow. Will you accept the challenge?

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RGRatSea For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading Burns’ works the unmistakeable message that you get is one of egalitarianism, something that seems at the heart of the Scottish psyche. This obviously does not chime with all Scottish people who prefer to espouse a hierarchical society and their rejection of Burns and his poetry no doubt reflects this. Abraham Lincoln was apparently a great follower of Burns and kept his works by his bedside which may have influenced his beliefs, particularly works such as “The man’s a man for a’ that” with its sentiment that “That Man to Man the world o’er Shall brithers be for a’ that.” No doubt Burns’ egalitarian views chimed with many in America and elsewhere who rejected the established order of unrepresentative monarchs and despots and, instead, established governments by the people and for the people, a very Scottish principle where power resides with the people.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Ivor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading Burns’ works the unmistakeable message that you get is one of egalitarianism, something that seems at the heart of the Scottish psyche. This obviously does not chime with all Scottish people who prefer to espouse a hierarchical society and their rejection of Burns and his poetry no doubt reflects this. Abraham Lincoln was apparently a great follower of Burns and kept his works by his bedside which may have influenced his beliefs, particularly works such as “The man’s a man for a’ that” with its sentiment that “That Man to Man the world o’er Shall brithers be for a’ that.” No doubt Burns’ egalitarian views chimed with many in America and elsewhere who rejected the established order of unrepresentative monarchs and despots and, instead, established governments by the people and for the people, a very Scottish principle where power resides with the people.
    ...and some people just like or don't like his poetry. Art is always subjective.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abraham Lincoln was apparently a great follower of Burns and kept his works by his bedside which may have influenced his beliefs, particularly works such as “The man’s a man for a’ that” with its sentiment that “That Man to Man the world o’er Shall brithers be for a’ that.” No doubt Burns’ egalitarian views chimed with many in America and elsewhere who rejected the established order of unrepresentative monarchs and despots and, instead, established governments by the people and for the people, a very Scottish principle where power resides with the people.
    An interesting book on this subject is "Abraham Lincoln and Robert Burns; Connected Lives and Legends" by Ferenc Morton Szasz. Some decent thoughts and research in a small volume. Commonality of concerns for people and life's important issues of the times as viewed by each man. I am looking how to incorporate this into a tribute for our celebration of the Bard.
    Last edited by COScotsman; 5th September 22 at 03:40 PM.
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to COScotsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    ...and some people just like or don't like his poetry. Art is always subjective.
    How true, you either like poetry or you don’t and much of his language is difficult even for native speakers I suppose. And then, of course, are the sentiments expressed …

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ivor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I might add that “some people” are not too keen on haggis either!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In “Earnest Cry and Prayer” the Bard was responding to the UK Parliament’s Scotch Distillery Act of 1786, a protectionist act aimed at supporting London’s gin industry by hiking duties on whisky sold in England and by taxing Scottish still capacity. I’m sure most Scots who enjoy a dram would be sympathetic to that.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ivor For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234