X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Burns Supper Attire choice?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kilt, waistcoat and tie

8 100.00%
  • Black Suit and Tartan Necktie

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankfully we’ve a Scot who enjoys the dramatic; should have seen him in the coach microphone on our golf trip to Northern Ireland and Scotland! He was fantastic and his wife (a Derry girl) was equally entertaining. I’ll not tell you her story about me...something about a rooster and some hens from what I recall.

And fwiw, a shoutout to Ardbeg for fully supporting the dinner with glassware, hats, mugs, etc. I can’t say enough about how great they were....and in stark contrast to some others we featured who did nothing in spite of promises. Ardbeg has a loyal customer....or perhaps an additional 20 or so now.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to clubmanager For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Jock Scot;1399838]Personally, I avoid Burns Nights as overtime I have never acquired a taste for Mr Burns writings . . .

I seem to recall that during Burns’ lifetime there were many who felt as you do. As is said in America, “That is why Baskin Robbins has 32 flavors of ice cream.”

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RGRatSea For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=RGRatSea;1399856]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Personally, I avoid Burns Nights as overtime I have never acquired a taste for Mr Burns writings . . .

I seem to recall that during Burns’ lifetime there were many who felt as you do. As is said in America, “That is why Baskin Robbins has 32 flavors of ice cream.”
    I am afraid I am not familiar with Baskin Robbins or his sayings, but I think that I get your drift.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 13th July 22 at 12:45 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Jock Scot;1399860]
    Quote Originally Posted by RGRatSea View Post

I am afraid I am not familiar with Baskin Robins or his sayings, but I think that I get your drift.
    My apologies, I was not trying to be regional but in retrospect I should have mentioned that Baskin-Robbins is an ice cream store chain. To be honest, they were big in my long past youth. I don’t even know if they still are in business. If they are they may even have more than 32 flavors.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RGRatSea For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Around here I see the same sameness for Burns Suppers, kilted weddings, and Kirking of the tartans: black Prince Charlie coatees, kilts that are too short, white hose that are too long, and black ghillies tied Viking-style for all.

Also dirks, plaids, and every sort of pin, badge, and brooch imaginable.

I'd welcome more gents in suits, frankly.

Is there really no attire guidance available to the "man in the street"? Does anyone actually listen? Do they want to know? Is conforming for a few hours really that difficult? I know freedom of choice is a privilege that most of us on this website have, but surely there must be someone out there with the knowledge to pass on to others?

It all sounds pretty horrific and depressing!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there really no attire guidance available to the "man in the street"? Does anyone actually listen? Do they want to know? Is conforming for a few hours really that difficult? I know freedom of choice is a privilege that most of us on this website have, but surely there must be someone out there with the knowledge to pass on to others?

It all sounds pretty horrific and depressing!
    I think most people aren’t used to dress codes these days, including those writing the invitations.

I’ve been to events that simply say “full dress” whatever that means and you end up seeing the same sort of thing Richard describes.

Usually you’ll see kilted men in prince Charlies (some worn properly, some kilts low, some kilts backwards) and trousered men in business (lounge) suits. Fortunately, I don’t recall seeing pirate shirts at such events. So perhaps there is hope.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    I think most people aren’t used to dress codes these days, including those writing the invitations.

I’ve been to events that simply say “full dress” whatever that means and you end up seeing the same sort of thing Richard describes.

Usually you’ll see kilted men in prince Charlies (some worn properly, some kilts low, some kilts backwards) and trousered men in business (lounge) suits. Fortunately, I don’t recall seeing pirate shirts at such events. So perhaps there is hope.
    Oh, its not unusual in Scotland to see men appropriately attired wearing, lounge/business suits, for example, with others wearing the appropriate(to the occasion) kilt attire to the same event and that is quite acceptable and normal. Likewise for a black tie event some will wear a dinner suit(tuxedo)and others will be attired in the equivalent kilt attire. The same goes for any attire to suit the occasion, from shirt sleeves, sports jacket to an ultra formal event the APPROPRIATE saxon or, APPROPRIATE kilt attire for the occasion is worn without any comment.

If all this seems to be such a mystery for those outwith Scotland surely the organisers of events could steer and gently guide those that dont know the form? It might take time, years even, to do it, but the first step is to train the event organisers what is appropriate attire for their event. Worth a try? Well anything sounds better than the shambles that is present at the moment!!!

I am sorry, very sorry but it sounds to me that you chaps out there have created complete and utter attire disorder for yourselves. Some of you very obviously are not too impressed with the situation that you have got yourselves landed with.

Does it matter? Thats up to you!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, its not unusual in Scotland to see men appropriately attired wearing, lounge/business suits, for example, with others wearing the appropriate(to the occasion) kilt attire to the same event and that is quite acceptable and normal. Likewise for a black tie event some will wear a dinner suit(tuxedo)and others will be attired in the equivalent kilt attire. The same goes for any attire to suit the occasion, from shirt sleeves, sports jacket to an ultra formal event the APPROPRIATE saxon or, APPROPRIATE kilt attire for the occasion is worn without any comment.

If all this seems to be such a mystery for those outwith Scotland surely the organisers of events could steer and gently guide those that dont know the form? It might take time, years even, to do it, but the first step is to train the event organisers what is appropriate attire for their event. Worth a try? Well anything sounds better than the shambles that is present at the moment!!!

I am sorry, very sorry but it sounds to me that you chaps out there have created complete and utter attire disorder for yourselves. Some of you very obviously are not too impressed with the situation that you have got yourselves landed with.

Does it matter? Thats up to you!
    Too be fair, these have not been my events. I have been invited to attend a few but am in no way involved in the planning or execution. I am also not affiliated with the organizations who put them on.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Too be fair, these have not been my events. I have been invited to attend a few but am in no way involved in the planning or execution. I am also not affiliated with the organizations who put them on.
    Oh I quite understand the situation. On re-reading your post(above) this morning, I was not meaning "you" in the singular in my post 27. I was using "you" in a very general plural mode. I am sorry if you took my comments personally as that was not my intention. I know full well that you personally do pay particular attention with your kilt attire choices and must find some of your Countryman's attire choices as grim as I do!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 21st July 22 at 05:12 AM.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Came across this thread and found it interesting that the solitary Scottish member had no interest in Burns and his poetry and the remainder, mostly if not all, American contributors were more interested in what they should wear. Obviously anything remotely Scottish is seen as an opportunity to dress up in kilt outfits various irrespective of what I have found in other threads, namely that Scottish people do not generally celebrate Burns in this way. I am aware that this may fly in the face of the purpose of this forum but wonder if this interpretation of a different culture and society in such a way says more about the needs of those indulging in these fantasies than any genuine interest in the merits or otherwise of Burns and his poetry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast