X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Burns Supper Attire choice?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kilt, waistcoat and tie

8 100.00%
  • Black Suit and Tartan Necktie

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burns Supper approach

Hello all. Here’s the setup...

I manage a Country Club where we’ve a Scotsman member hosting a Burns Supper Saturday. 60 Attendees and I know all very well; have gone to N. Ireland and Scotland recently with some including said Scot. In other words, I’m staff but after 7 years am very familiar with all the club members to the point they expected me to dine with them.

I lack a proper Jacket to wear with any kilt but do own a nice pleated kilt in Irish National tartan. I also own a necktie in US Army Tartan.

Question is this; wear the kilt, green tweed waistcoat and a necktie (or no tie at all) or a black suit with the Army necktie? I’m guessing wearing the Army tie with the kilt is a no-go mixing tartans and all that?

While I’d love to wear the kilt, I’m inclined to go with suit/tie only in that it just seems more proper given lack of jacket with the kilt. Seeking guidance as above all, I want to do it ‘right’; I’ve a fear of coming across offensive (by accident) or put together poorly.

Thanks in advance y’all.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to clubmanager For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to help us by telling us how the others dress.

The suit and tartan tie are always correct, and Burns, being a lowlander, may not ever have worn a kilt.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does depend on the dress code of the event. That said to the Burns Night I attended last night I wore a kilt with just a vest/waistcoat and it was well-received.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Message given to group was to simply wear plaid/tartan in some form.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clubmanager View Post
    ...but how have they interpreted that in recent years? Soccer jerseys? Prince Charlies? Doublets with jabots?

Do you have or can you find pictures from the event from last time out?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear, these vague attire instructions are absolutely no help whatsoever! I really think event organisers should give their invitations a lot more thought.

So alright what would you wear to a non kilted/non tartan event to a same sort of do? Jeans and t shirt? Slacks and shirt and tie? Sports jacket and corduroy trousers? Blazer and grey trousers? Dinner Jacket? More formal than that? And then work from there.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th January 22 at 09:18 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    ...but how have they interpreted that in recent years? Soccer jerseys? Prince Charlies? Doublets with jabots?

Do you have or can you find pictures from the event from last time out?
    First time we've ever had one at the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Oh dear, these vague attire instructions are absolutely no help whatsoever! I really think event organisers should give their invitations a lot more thought.

So alright what would you wear to a non kilted/non tartan event to a same sort of do? Jeans and t shirt? Slacks and shirt and tie? Sports jacket and corduroy trousers? Blazer and grey trousers? Dinner Jacket? More formal than that? And then work from there.
    Our club is very informal so dinner jacket isn't necessary; jeans and t-shirt are certainly not acceptable for dinner. All in all, I'd say something starting and ending with what you've outined with Sports Jacket/Cords to Blazer and Slacks.

After some thought, I think I'll simply go with Black Suit and Tartan Tie, perhaps add a waistcoat. Seems the safest bet and I've enough to think about as it is with the dinner and whisky tasting. And, just to put in a word for them Ardbeg has been incredibly supportive of the event with tasting glasses and other gear they've sent gratis. I reached out to them and to Auchentoshan as they're my favorites.

thanks gents!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our club is very informal so dinner jacket isn't necessary; jeans and t-shirt are certainly not acceptable for dinner. All in all, I'd say something starting and ending with what you've outined with Sports Jacket/Cords to Blazer and Slacks.

After some thought, I think I'll simply go with Black Suit and Tartan Tie, perhaps add a waistcoat. Seems the safest bet and I've enough to think about as it is with the dinner and whisky tasting. And, just to put in a word for them Ardbeg has been incredibly supportive of the event with tasting glasses and other gear they've sent gratis. I reached out to them and to Auchentoshan as they're my favorites.

thanks gents!
    Well done. You have appear to have worked out your attire perfectly to fit the event.

Next year you will perhaps have your tartan kilt and tweed jacket , which is smart or suit equivalent. Remember to then leave the tartan tie off and choose an other style of tie. Perhaps a club/college/university/old school style striped tie?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th January 22 at 11:03 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with the kilt.

Burns' suppers can be pretty informal - and those I have been to have had a fairly wide standard fo dress.

Now the last 2 have been in Estonia. The first even included a Scottish Breeds dog show as part of the proceedings and a pretty wild and free-flowing ceilidh - and Burns reading in Estonia - but a great tutored whisky tasting!! Sure there were folk in full highland fig, some in kilts & jumpers and others in suit jackets & jeans - great fun and no-one was overly bothered about what anyone else was wearing. The second was a bit more upscale and even with a black argyll jacket and tie I was one of the more under-dressed (along with a couple of guys in tweed jackets) - most of the guests had really pushed the boat out - but as there weren't any kilt kops or fashion police on duty - all was well and we didn't feel out of place - the focus was more on the big charity auction, a good band to finish and plenty of whisky - which all made for a good night.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast