X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did my duty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did my duty

Went and voted this morning. The line wasn't too bad, it only took about an hour to get through. I sure got alot of smiles and nice comments and not one "nice skirt" in the bunch. Several people mentioned seeing me around town and thought the kilts were sharp looking. One lady asked if I was going to wear them when winter really set in and wouldn't it be cold. I just responded that in 8 yards of wool, how could I possibly be cold. All in all, a very good morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are quickly becoming recognisable around your neck of the wood. It is good news for all us and the Cold Wisconsin Winter will weed out all but the bravest.

I hope this thread isn't going to evolve to another Republicians Vs Democrats thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, no politics in this one. Just the fun standing in the long long line

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be getting known in the neighborhood anyway. I had an election worker ask 'here is your kilt'. I was on the way to a very 'redneck' client so had on jeans.

Jack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear that you voted Bubba! I too am becoming recognizable as the kilted guy in my neighborhood. In fact one of the judges said "Oh good the kilted guy is in my precinct!"
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I exercised my civic duties this morning too. Unfortunately I wasn't kilted since I was on my way to work. It felt very strange to not be kilted, and several people that I know didn't even recognise me either because they were too busy working the polls or because I was wearing clothes they didn't recognise. Just goes to show ya.

Jamie
    Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Sporrano
    I hope this thread isn't going to evolve to another Republicians Vs Democrats thread.
    It won't...I promise!
    Beannacht Dé,
    Hank
    "...it's the ocean following in our veins, cause its the salt thats in our tears..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you Uncle Bubba. I voted on my way home from work this morning. There's nothing like doing the midnight shift and then standing in line for two and a half hours.

I agree, no politics in this one. Vote right wing, left wing, breast, thigh, or drumstick. Just vote. Thank you to everyone who did.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had fun voting kilted this morning too. Been sick with a bad cold so just threw on a SportKilt (Scot Skye) and SportKilt cobalt blue "kilt hose", some wingtips, a polo, jacket and drove over.

Guy in front of me in line says, "Sorry sir, this isn't where we vote for Prime Minister." Just said, "Aye." Then he asked what tartan I was wearing. Lied and said it was a regional Skye tartan...no point in telling the truth that its a made up name for a good looking pattern.

Then I pointed out that the lady checking us in was wearing a black Stewart tartan blazer...that impressed him.

Voted and left. In the parking lot are two college age Navajo ladies in full Navajo regalia. They're just outside the 75 foot line and doing a survey for class to see if there were any language barriers. They asked me to take part.

So here's this old White guy in a kilt talking to two young Navajo ladies in their traditional dress standing in the parking lot.

Some old bitty election worker comes out and accuses the ladies of moving the 75 foot limit sign in too close to the poll. She herds us about 100 feet farther out in the parking lot.

Then she goes inside and gets her official 75 foot string and a guy to hold the other end. She measures the "official" 75 foot limit in a big semi-circle from the door to the poll.

When she got to where the 75 foot limit sign was standing before she moved us her "official" string ended about 20 feet short of the old sign where we'd been standing.

No apology, she just huffed and went back inside. The Navajo ladies were polite and stayed way back in the parking lot where she'd herded them to.

What's sad is our little city borders the Navajo reservation and the official city seal includes a Navajo hand shaking a White hand....

I hope the old bitty was just anal retentive and controlling and not racist...

Anyhow, voting kilted was a pleasure. Our little town has already had two Marines killed in combat and one commit suicide right after returning home from Iraq two weeks ago. I hope my vote somehow keeps our town from loosing a 4th Marine. So friggin' sad to see the post combat suicides begin already...

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our elections were last month, I was kilted but it was a non-even, small office, only three other people there in the room.

Standing an HOUR to vote??? unheard of here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast