X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Gab about guga

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gab about guga

In the Duolingo Scottish Gaelic course, they talk about guga or salted gannet found on the Isle of Lewis. Has anyone had this? I’m intrigued by the thought. How readily available is it on Lewis? I’m might be planning a trip to Scotland this September and would be interested in sampling it. I have googled it but there isn’t that much information about it.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we were on Lewis a few years ago, I asked about guga and it appears that no one admits to have eaten it. One memorable reply was; “ you have to be B....y hungry before even thinking of eating that ....... stuff!”Besides we now have supermarkets! From that comment and a few others from around the area I got the assorted impression that it’s less dangerous and with more and better choices of food going to Morrison’s( supermarket).
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the BBC film ‘The Guga Hunters of Ness’ (https://vimeo.com/ondemand/gugahunters). The pictures of the guga harvest would deter most of us, I think.

John

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nemuragh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fact I have eaten guga. I was staying with an older couple in Ness, Lewis in 1983 just to hear gaelic and try my my own. I was there when the guga boat came in. I went down to Am Port and watched and listened. I saw a fantastic pair of oars which I tried to replicate when I got back.

So guga is, or at least was, considered a delicacy by Niseachs. To get it you usually had to let the guga hunters know ahead of time. And yes, you had to be b-----y hungry to eat it. We tend to forget that folks in the Highlands and Islands were often b-----y hungry. The gentleman I was staying with told me when he was a boy they would catch the cudichean (little salt water minnows, I don't know the English), boil them in milk and drink the milk. The cudichs* were too small to eat alone. Anyway, that's the background as to was why the guga were hunted. Any food available was needed.

So, what does it taste like? If you can imagine a very salty eraser you'd be pretty close. Tough, rubbery, salty, and maybe overtones of burned feathers.

*Lewiseachs do (or did) tend to use "s" for plurals a lot. Other things too that are different.

I suppose I should post some of my adventures in Scotland. I'll have to dig into the journal I kept.
    Last edited by DCampbell16B; 30th January 22 at 04:55 PM.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    When we were on Lewis a few years ago, I asked about guga and it appears that no one admits to have eaten it. One memorable reply was; “ you have to be B....y hungry before even thinking of eating that ....... stuff!”Besides we now have supermarkets! From that comment and a few others from around the area I got the assorted impression that it’s less dangerous and with more and better choices of food going to Morrison’s( supermarket).
    Ah, well. You needed to be talking with a Niseach. Nobody else gets it.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCampbell16B View Post
    ......... I was staying with told me when he was a boy they would catch the cudichean (little salt water minnows, I don't know the English), boil them in milk and drink the milk. The cudichs* were too small to eat alone.
    Allowing for local variation in pronunciation ''Cudainn'' a coal fish sprat (young) or maybe a herring sprat "Sgadan-gearr" which were much more plentiful. Some fisher old folk use to talk about sprat and boiled milk. What it tasted like I don't know. Very salty I would think, just like herring which was salted in barrels for a winter food.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of it but never eaten it, nor am I sure that I'd wanted too. I imaginre that the taste and texture would be similar to Fulmar, Puffin and Heron, all of which were eaten at one time.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a very good description of the hunt in the detective novel "The Black House" by Peter May. It certainly didn't whet my appetite!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll stick to hunting Snipe, myself.

I've very ...nearly ... got one!
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    I'll stick to hunting Snipe, myself.

I've very ...nearly ... got one!
    Oh yes! Snipe on toast. Yum yum!!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.