X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Royal Regiment of Scotland Kilt Uniform

(This felt like the most appropriate forum for this, albeit I am not talking about a historical outfit!)

I’m interested in a bit of a project this year to start to assemble a full replica Royal Regiment of Scotland kilt outfilt – probably No 1 Dress.

I’m planning as far as possible to assemble from genuine articles, rather than copied, as I figure they should be generally available given it’s a uniform currently being produced. I will perhaps provide updates here as I make progress, if people are interested!

I wondered if anyone had any experience of something similar, or of sourcing military uniform items? If so, do let me know any tips or suggestions you might have!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Regimental View Post
    (This felt like the most appropriate forum for this, albeit I am not talking about a historical outfit!)

I’m interested in a bit of a project this year to start to assemble a full replica Royal Regiment of Scotland kilt outfilt – probably No 1 Dress.

I’m planning as far as possible to assemble from genuine articles, rather than copied, as I figure they should be generally available given it’s a uniform currently being produced. I will perhaps provide updates here as I make progress, if people are interested!

I wondered if anyone had any experience of something similar, or of sourcing military uniform items? If so, do let me know any tips or suggestions you might have!
    Pieces come up fairly regularly on eBay, Etsy etc., Mostly Working Dress or Barrack Dress items, No.1 Dress less so apart form the kilt which is the same for all forms of dress that it is worn with. Wyedean Stores may have some pieces you need.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happily the uniform regulations are online, with photos showing people wearing each order of dress.

Things that bite people putting together military uniforms include

1) mixing things from different orders of dress

2) mixing things from different time-periods

3) mixing things from different units

4) mixing military and civilian items

and last but not least

5) having the right kit but not wearing it properly.

With the regulations and the photos therein as your guide you should be able to avoid all those pitfalls.

I see just about all the items required for No1 Dress show up on Ebay regularly: the Glengarry, doublet, badges, belt, sporran, kilt, hose-tops, flashes, spats, brogues. I think the least-seen thing is the doublet. There's only one up now, an officer's doublet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...cotland&_oac=1
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th February 22 at 05:25 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Pieces come up fairly regularly on eBay, Etsy etc., Mostly Working Dress or Barrack Dress items, No.1 Dress less so apart form the kilt which is the same for all forms of dress that it is worn with. Wyedean Stores may have some pieces you need.
    Thank you. I am intending to start with the kilt (which seems to be most straightforward item, albeit getting the right waist and length may take a bit of searching) and work out from there for the trickier items. I may perhaps look at No.2 Dress as an option if it will be easier to complete, though No.1 would be the preference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Happily the uniform regulations are online, with photos showing people wearing each order of dress.

Things that bite people putting together military uniforms include

1) mixing things from different orders of dress

2) mixing things from different time-periods

3) mixing things from different units

4) mixing military and civilian items

and last but not least

5) having the right kit but not wearing it properly.

With the regulations and the photos therein as your guide you should be able to avoid all those pitfalls.

I see just about all the items required for No1 Dress show up on Ebay regularly: the Glengarry, doublet, badges, belt, sporran, kilt, hose-tops, flashes, spats, brogues. I think the least-seen thing is the doublet. There's only one up now, an officer's doublet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...cotland&_oac=1
    Thank you for that guidance OC Richard – it was actually reading the uniform regulations that inspired me in this project and so I absolutely want to use them as my ‘bible’ here!

I get annoyed enough by people not wearing the kilt properly in civilian dress so if I’m going to do this project I certainly want to get all the details absolutely correct I certainly won’t be mixing military and civilian gear, with the only exception that I probably will make use of the kilt for other occasions once I have it – my understanding is that it is an even heavier weight than normal, which should be useful on some occasions, I think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dress Regulations

https://electricscotland.com/history...nsHandBook.pdf

Ebay's good, try Facebook market place as some guys who are coming out of the army might have kit they've acquired over the years to sell. I've add a link above for the dress regulations handbook so you'll have an accurate outfit.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Miller6582 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very pleased to say I have today ordered my first item: a used (but good condition) Royal Regiment of Scotland Government 1A kilt. I’m excited to receive it – it’ll be my fourth kilt, but first not in the family tartan!

Interesting that the sizing is based purely on height and waist, so I just need to hope it fits okay! Still, for £100, it’s very reasonably priced considering.

I’m going to take a bit of time once I have the kilt to work out what uniform to aim for, and therefore what item to put next on my list.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that the sizing is based purely on height and waist...
    That's odd, isn't it?

Every military kilt label I've seen gives three measurements: waist, breech, and height.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    That's odd, isn't it?

Every military kilt label I've seen gives three measurements: waist, breech, and height.
    Sorry, you’re right, there is a breech measurement too, but it seems to be just a reflection of height, rather than a separate measure. All in centimetres too these days, which took a bit of getting used to!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, you’re right, there is a breech measurement too, but it seems to be just a reflection of height, rather than a separate measure. All in centimetres too these days, which took a bit of getting used to!
    I believe "breech" should refer to hip size, not length.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast