X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Panama Hats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Panama Hats

I know here wear Panama and other straw hats in the summer when outdoors and kilted, where do you find these hats? I know they are readily available but I'm looking for one of decent quality. So...

Where did you get that hat?
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps from here for "handwoven in Ecuador" examples: https://www.villagehatshop.com/hats/Made-In-Ecuador
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 9th February 22 at 02:12 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without hesitation, if you want quality, I would recommend Herbert Johnson, or Locks. Both from London UK.

Panamas usually come with a black hat band, but University, College, School, Regimental, Club, coloured hat bands are not unusual, as seen below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1045.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	41253

After many, many years the panama from Herbert Johnson is a tad battered, but still going strong.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 9th February 22 at 05:01 AM. Reason: can't spell.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Jock, for the Herbert Johnson referral. I look forward to seeing their Panama range. We used to have a master hatter here in Rochester, New York by the name of Dave Brown. Sadly, he closed his shop several years ago. I do still have the Panama from his shop, as well as a bespoke beaver fedora I had made for going afield in pursuit of Rule 11 activities. Fine stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.optimohatworks.com/

Not cheap. But it'll be the last Panama you buy. Unless you want another style.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    Perhaps from here for "handwoven in Ecuador" examples: https://www.villagehatshop.com/hats/Made-In-Ecuador
    That's my local shop!

Pair one of those hats with a Panabrisa Guayabera and you're ready to explore Isla Nublar

Last edited by OC Richard; 11th February 22 at 08:39 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were in the Portland, Oregon vicinity, I would recommend John Helmer, Haberdasher. Of course, if you are working with a more restricted budget you might consider the one I picked up from REI Co-Op.
    ---------------------------------------
    One has no need for a snooze button, when one has a hungry cat.

Tartan Riders, Kilted Oregon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the years I've had some beautiful Panamas from Olneys - sadly they recently stopped trading although their products are still widely stocked by online sellers by the look of things.
    One thing I've noticed with more than one Panama hat is that once worn they become an irresistible snack for dogs - even otherwise highly trained and well-behaved dogs seem to think it worth facing my wrath just to get a nibble at the brim of my panama hats. Gone are the days when I might carelessly toss my Panama onto a table or desk, or even the seat of the car, where a mischievous hound can sniff it out and cause it permanent injury. Hang 'em high, I say - the hats that is.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a different Optimo to recommend. This store is in Chicago and the quality is second to none. Hats are custom made to your size and desires. I have two straw hats from them, a Panama and a Milan, and can't say enough good things about them.

The store is a great place to visit if you are in Chicago. A trip will give you an education in hats, a chance to try out a wide variety of styes and materials, and probably a much lighter wallet.

The web site is full of interesting and useful information, including the adventure story of the owner's travels to source the straw hats. https://optimo.com/

Be warned, prices are not cheap. But the quality and style are timeless.

Andrew

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post: