X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harald Hardrada - The last viking king of the North

5F123804-8B6E-4178-AE35-264D02A0600C.jpgI ran across this article- check out the clothing on the Viking king, sure looks kilt-like to me!

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...493745156.html
    Last edited by Steelkilt; 18th February 22 at 05:46 PM.
    Trying to avoid “looking like a refugee from a pantomime.” (hat tip Jock Scot)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post
    5F123804-8B6E-4178-AE35-264D02A0600C.jpgI ran across this article- check out the clothing on the Viking king, sure looks kilt-like to me!

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...493745156.html
    It certainly does. And the king looks like he might be about to suffer from some friendly fire from the fellow in the boat below him.

On a vaguely related topic: The world's oldest pants ...
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...culture-origin
    (... were already pretty sophisticated; and were worn below a belted tunic.)
    When in doubt, end with a jig. - Robin McCauley

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that he was known as "Blue Tooth" and hence the Viking rune that is used as the Bluetooth® logo.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is how he is depicted in a stained glass window in the Lerwick Town Hall:

The garment he's wearing looks like some form of tunic.
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 19th February 22 at 04:31 PM.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    I believe that he was known as "Blue Tooth" and hence the Viking rune that is used as the Bluetooth® logo.
    "Blue Tooth" was Harald Gormsson. It was Harald Sigurdsson who was known as "Hardrada", which roughly translates as hard ruler or stern counsel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Hardrada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Bluetooth

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Bruce Scott says - 2 different Harolds (beat me to it).

I was recently in Denmark and visited the Jelling Rune Stones. Great museum, it's adjacent to the burial mounds of Gorm the Old and Harold Bluetooth.

I don't think the viking on the bridge in the original post is meant to be Hardrada - instead it depicts a famous moment in the battle of Stirling Bridge where an exceptional tall, lone, viking held the bridge for some time, until one of the saxons was able to float under the bridge and attack him from below.

He prob. isn't wearing a kilt - as we know it - but I understand that the word comes from Old Norse meaning to pleat or gather.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    As Bruce Scott says - 2 different Harolds (beat me to it).

I was recently in Denmark and visited the Jelling Rune Stones. Great museum, it's adjacent to the burial mounds of Gorm the Old and Harold Bluetooth.

I don't think the viking on the bridge in the original post is meant to be Hardrada - instead it depicts a famous moment in the battle of Stirling Bridge where an exceptional tall, lone, viking held the bridge for some time, until one of the saxons was able to float under the bridge and attack him from below.

He prob. isn't wearing a kilt - as we know it - but I understand that the word comes from Old Norse meaning to pleat or gather.
    No Vikings at Stirling Bridge - a few centuries too late! How about Stamford Bridge
    https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ba...tamford_Bridge

Alan

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    it depicts a famous moment in the battle of Stirling Bridge where an exceptional tall, lone, viking held the bridge for some time, until one of the saxons was able to float under the bridge and attack him from below.
    And I thought I was making a joke about perspective in medieval art!
    When in doubt, end with a jig. - Robin McCauley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is what we are meant to be seeing in this modern embroidery/tapestry representing the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066 (in the famous style of the Bayeaux Tapestry which is actually English) is the skirts of a long coat of chain-mail rather than a kilt. If that is so then according to legend the figure will not be Harald as he was not wearing his mail coat at Stamford Bridge and was shot through the neck with an arrow on the river-bank not on the bridge. However, only the makers of the tapestry can say for certain who and what they are intending to represent here.

While it's pointless to take sides after nearly 1000 years and recognizing that Harald and Tostig and their troops were up to no good at all at Stamford Bridge, it is hard to sympathise with the sneaky little guy in the boat - notwithstanding his skills as both a boatman and a lancer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    This is how he is depicted in a stained glass window in the Lerwick Town Hall:

The garment he's wearing looks like some form of tunic.
    Possibly a tunic or some type of padded armor. The illustration is very similar to images on burial stones at Iona.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast