X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White Tie Etiquette

This week I had an opportunity to attend an event where the dress code was White Tie at which National costume that is the equivalent of White Tie is welcome.

It's not often that one has the opportunity to wear White Tie, certainly not in the UK. The velvet Regulation Doublet that I'm having made was not ready and my old Meyer and Mortimer one was with the tailor for use as the template. I therefore had to go for the third option, a doublet that I purchased for the 1927 hallmarked buttons. It is a little tired and I had to replace the missing lace cuffs but it worked quite well I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220222 - Apothecaries-sm.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	424.1 KB 
ID:	41287

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good! 👍
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Splendid!

If I ever have the chance to attend a white tie event, my plan is a very similar outfit to what you're wearing here.

Shane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve heard it claimed that black tie kilt outfits are suitable and proper for otherwise white tie occasions.

But honestly that always felt off to me – that looks a lot more fitting.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Regimental View Post
    I’ve heard it claimed that black tie kilt outfits are suitable and proper for otherwise white tie occasions.

But honestly that always felt off to me – that looks a lot more fitting.
    I agree, and it's nice to have the opportunity to wear White Tie.

Here's the (slightly tongue-in-cheek) guidance from the organisation at which I was a guest.

Can I wear black tie/dinner Jacket at a white tie event?

At xxx White Tie events, we sometimes say “Dinner Jacket Permissible”. By this, we mean that if your White Tie has been eaten by your pet lion, destroyed by the dry cleaner, borrowed by an errant offspring, or beamed up by Scottie, we’d prefer that you turned up in Black Tie rather than be deprived of your conversation. No other reason is wholly acceptable, although guests are more easily forgiven.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonderful Highland expression!

Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    This week I had an opportunity to attend an event where the dress code was White Tie at which National costume that is the equivalent of White Tie is welcome.

It's not often that one has the opportunity to wear White Tie, certainly not in the UK. The velvet Regulation Doublet that I'm having made was not ready and my old Meyer and Mortimer one was with the tailor for use as the template. I therefore had to go for the third option, a doublet that I purchased for the 1927 hallmarked buttons. It is a little tired and I had to replace the missing lace cuffs but it worked quite well I think.

Absolutely wonderful Peter. Quite elegant.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know anything about white tie etiquette, but I have noticed that in Victorian photos the wearing of white tie with dark waistcoat was fairly common.

After 1900 the jabot started getting popular, and in many photos it's hard to tell whether it's a tie or jabot, the way the white washes out.

Last edited by OC Richard; 11th August 22 at 05:29 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

After 1900 the jabot started getting popular, and in many photos it's hard to tell whether it's a tie or jabot, the way the white washes out.

Richard, I curious about your take on the piper on the left. He seems to have around ten medals hanging from his doublet. Would these be piping awards, do you think?
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I agree, and it's nice to have the opportunity to wear White Tie.

Here's the (slightly tongue-in-cheek) guidance from the organisation at which I was a guest.

Can I wear black tie/dinner Jacket at a white tie event?

At xxx White Tie events, we sometimes say “Dinner Jacket Permissible”. By this, we mean that if your White Tie has been eaten by your pet lion, destroyed by the dry cleaner, borrowed by an errant offspring, or beamed up by Scottie, we’d prefer that you turned up in Black Tie rather than be deprived of your conversation. No other reason is wholly acceptable, although guests are more easily forgiven.
    That sounds perfectly reasonable to me!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=figheadair;1397927]This week I had an opportunity to attend an event where the dress code was White Tie at which National costume that is the equivalent of White Tie is welcome.

[/QUOTE

Do you have photos of the buttons?

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to piperalpha For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast