X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What tartan would the 84th Regiment of Foot have worn?

I am reading a very interesting book called, "Highland Heritage" by anthropologist Celeste Ray. It is an examination of the Scottish heritage movement of the southeastern United States, especially in North Carolina. It talks about Flora Mcdonald's connection to North Carolina and the big deal they make of it in that state. The Battle of Moore's Creek Bridge was mentioned. I had never heard of this particular Revolutionary War battle so I googled it. This led me to a Wikipedia rabbit hole and to the 84th Regiment of Foot (Royal Highland Emigrants) some of whose members were involved in the battle.

Does anyone here know what tartan the 84th would have worn? Wikipedia says the government tartan, which I assume means what is now called 'Black Watch'. I am just curious but the idea of a kilted regiment in North America is interesting to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/84th_R...and_Emigrants)
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    Does anyone here know what tartan the 84th would have worn? Wikipedia says the government tartan, which I assume means what is now called 'Black Watch'. I am just curious but the idea of a kilted regiment in North America is interesting to me.
    The picture of Captain Ranald MacKinnon is a realy good reference point. From other documentation it is clear that the 84th were dressed as shown and definitely wore the Government tartan. Items of the uniform survive, including Capt John MacDonald of Glenaladale's sporran. Alas, no piece of tartan is known. I will be visiting NS, CB and PEI in June and would dearly love to find a piece buried somewhere.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From memory I remember reading about one of the colonial highland regiments (can't remember if it was the Royal Highland Immigrants or if it was the North Carolina Highlanders were issued the plaids which had been worn by the Black Watch prior to them (the Black Watch)being equipped with philabegs. If I remember correctly the book was the 18th Century Highlanders book by Osprey.

It's a little intriguing but the books I've read referring to the North Carolina Highlanders being a distinct regiment from the Royal Highland Immigrants as opposed to a Battalion of it. I remember one thing that distinguished the NCH from the RHI was that the North Carolina Highlanders wore a single breasted blue jacket locally made instead of the usual red jacket and waistcoat.
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 21st March 22 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just had,a look at the Osprey 18th Century Highlanders books where I first read. It's well worth getting a copy.

As I recollected it was the North Carolina Highlanders who were engaged at Moore's Creek Bridge and with whom Flora Mcdonald's husband was involved. Also I was mistaken in saying that the plaids,were from the 42, they were in fact from the 71st. It's a little confusing as there were several 71st, but it seems to be referring to the 71st know as Frasers Highlanders but unlike the Frasers Highlanders of the 7 years war they were in Government tartan. There is an image of an officer of the 71st in a philabeg around that time.

The same book also makes it clear that the 84th wore dressed much the same as the Black Watch apart from some variations. A curious mention is made of some clothing from the Royal Scots Fusiliers being turned over to them but being declined due to the colonel being unhappy that the change over from Highland to Lowland uniforms could cause dissatisfaction amongst the men who were veterans of the 42nd and the 77th and 78th who had settled in America. I guess there is the possibility however that the jackets could have been cut down for use?
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 22nd March 22 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220322-141028_Office.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	41346

Name:	Screenshot_20220322-141042_Office.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	41347

Name:	Screenshot_20220322-140820_Office.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	41345
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 23rd March 22 at 01:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    I Have tried to attach some further information gleaned from the aforementioned 18thC Highlanders book by taking screenshot including images of the RHI & NCH taken from the book but the attachments don't seem to be showing up on this post?
    I have the Osprey book you mentioned. I'll look at it later and see what it says.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.