X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding Used kilts - a source idea for UK

Someone posted that they were on the eye for used kilts, as so few wear them in the US, they are a rarity here for sale or found in charity shops.

However, I did see on a YouTube video I follow an off comment mentioned by the host. She was at a kilo sale, where you go and purchase clothing by the kilo. She mentioned racks and racks of kilts of all kinds. She also mentioned that while she had no need for one, a friend told her to purchase some for the wool, to cut up and make into other things ::::

Anyway, just idea to watch for. One sale she mentioned was Worth the Weight, so maybe also search for Kilo clothes sales.
    DunRovinStation.blogspot.com (non-monetized or affiliated)
    Muir, MacKendrick-Henderson, Campbell, Clarke, Gordon, Cameron, Chattan,
    Galt, Euen, Slowan(Sloan), Tyndings, Ramsey, Stewart, MacAlistar

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to DunRovinStation For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been to a handful of kilo sales with my daughter. At one, there was a rack full of things that from a distance looked like it was full of kilts. On closer inspection, not a one was a men’s garment- they were all women’s kilted skirts, and most were very poorly made. My daughter loves vintage clothing and also ways finds a haul at these sales, so maybe one day I’ll get lucky.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Paco500 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the pipers in our pipe band (here in the USA) lived in Glasgow for a couple years and found it a bonanza for finding high-quality used Highland Dress.

Near the start of each year the Hire Shops have big sales to clear the way for the new things for the coming Spring wedding season.

And he found quite a few things in charity shops, for example a beautiful Harris Tweed Inverness cape for only a few pounds.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    One of the pipers in our pipe band (here in the USA) lived in Glasgow for a couple years and found it a bonanza for finding high-quality used Highland Dress.
    All the one’s I’ve been to have been down in south east England, so clearly a different market.