X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

creating sewn-in bonnet bow

My shutdown project was putting together the sorts of outfits I've wanted for a very long time.

Part of it was a Robert Mackie Balmoral bonnet in "fawn". The colour looks good with any of my Day Dress outfits.

But what to do with the dangling ribbons in the back? They had come loosely tied in sort of a bow. Here they are untied.

I recalled that back in the 1980s I had solved the issue with my black Mackie Balmoral by taking off the ribbon and creating a sewn-in bow. I still wear that hat! I studied the neat bow and tried to figure out exactly how I had done it.

Here are the steps, in case any of you DIYers want to do it to your bonnets.

Last edited by OC Richard; 17th March 22 at 04:09 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Richard. I have a bonnet upon which I have been considering a similar alteration. I'm going to keep this thread in mind.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you can do that, but what I do and so do many others over here do, is to just put a discreet stitch through each bow and hide the stitch under the central vertical bit of the bow.

If we look at the right bow in the picture below, just to the right of the centre part you can just see a small stitch. I have pulled the vertical bit of the bow aside to show this. Normally the stitch, left and right, is covered. Thus far, all is well with the bonnet and bow after many years of fairly hard use.

IMG_1376.jpeg click to enlarge.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th March 22 at 01:27 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen people, some members here, who have tied their ribbons in neat bows.

Seems like I'm not much of a bow-tyer! All of my attempts were badly misshapen.

So I did what I oftentimes do: sew my way out of a problem.

An example of that was the way the collar of my kilt jackets would annoyingly flip up when I was hurriedly dressing at piping gigs. I put a tiny invisible stitch at the rear base of the collar of all of my jackets.

Another example was the garters that have two separate flashes which would migrate apart. (This can lead to people, even Sir Sean, putting the two on opposite sides of the leg.) Once again, due to often dressing hurriedly, I put stitches holding the two flashes together.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 18th March 22 at 05:23 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I've seen people, some members here, who have tied their ribbons in neat bows.

Seems like I'm not much of a bow-tyer! All of my attempts were badly misshapen.

So I did what I oftentimes do: sew my way out of a problem.

An example of that was the way the collar of my kilt jackets would annoyingly flip up when I was hurriedly dressing at piping gigs. I put a tiny invisible stitch at the rear base of the collar of all of my jackets.

Another example was the garters that have two separate flashes which would migrate apart. (This can lead to people, even Sir Sean, putting the two on opposite sides of the leg.) Once again, due to often dressing hurriedly, I put stitches holding the two flashes together.
    Interesting!

A very minor problem I had with my cassock is that it buttons together right at the collar, meaning that one side stuck up and ruined the "line" of my clerical collar underneath it. A friend of mine showed me how he solved it, and now my cassock and clerical vest each have the tiniest black dome fastener snap to 'pin' that flap down after I button them up. Problem solved, similarly, I think, to what you're describing, Richard.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Father a small fastening at just the right place, whether permanently stitched, a snap, a hook, or a bit of Velcro can do wonders.

The next thing I want to tackle is my long tied garters that I wear with my castellated hose.

As I had said I'm incapable of tying a respectable-looking bow, so my plan is to create a sewn-in bow with some sort of hidden fastening, like a hook.

Also nice would be to have a short length of matching wide red elastic hidden under each bow to give the garters a bit of stretch for a snug fit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good design, Richard.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only problem with this is that it only increases my desire to have a fawn Robert Mackie. I was lucky enough to grab a black Mackie balmoral, used, from a member here, I still haven't worn it which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on the fawn. The old Want versus Need problem again.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post: