X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    I know that a black barathea argyle with chrome buttons is suitable for daywear formal as a highland version of a morning coat. As I understand it it can also be worn with a black self tied bowtie for some black tie events. The problem is that I have always been taught that a black suit should only be worn by undertakers and that it was less aesthetically interesting than other options. I know highland wear and Saxon wear are different, but I can't help feeling this way. I am willing to buy a black argyle if I must, but could a dark navy barathea jacket with metal buttons still be used in the same way? Would it still be suitable for black tie? Even my saxon tuxedo is Midnight Blue instead of black.
    The black suit thing doesn’t apply to tuxedos.

Tuxedos should always be black or midnight blue and even true midnight blue is hard to find, many places actually use navy whereas midnight blue is so dark it looks black much of the time. Black jackets are also sometimes found with morning dress, though that mode of dress is exceptionally rare in the US.

For business suits, yes, black is for funerals (not only undertakers but can also be appropriate for close family in mourning) or waiters.

So with that in mind, there is nothing particularly odd about a black argyle worn either as black tie or morning dress.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    There is nothing particularly odd about wearing black with a formal say outfit. We’re just not used to morning dress in the US.

President’s don’t even wear it for inaugurations anymore but did in the recent past.

Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is worn to a wedding in the UK is usually guided by one's hosts, usually the Bride's parents. In the case of Prince William's marriage to Kate Middleton, Royal protocols were sympathetically considered and the attire required was , Uniforms, Morning Dress or lounge suits. In the case of the kilted gentleman in the picture, he is perfectly attired in lounge suit equivalent and is dressed perfectly for the event.(not my picture)

112083-wedding-guest-arrivals.jpg Click to enlarge.

For a more normal very smart wedding in the uk, Morning suits are often quite common, but lounge suits are perfectly common too. Guests entering the reception. Pleny of black to be seen.
    322.jpg

Mrs Jock and me at the same wedding. Me wearing morning coat equivalent in kilt form.
    327.jpg

Normal kilt attire for most weddings. Lounge suit equivalent.
    Autumn 2016 021.jpg
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd March 22 at 02:55 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true that as it's generally made today the black Barathea Argyll is neither fish nor fowl.

Because a jacket of black Barathea with silver buttons (of whatever cut) would properly have lapels of satin or grosgrain.

And so the black Barathea Argyll did, in traditional Highland Dress, which kept its Day and Evening outfits neatly sorted.

The lapels of modern Kilt Hire Era black Argylls being matching Barathea, the buttons would properly be something other than silver, say, matching black.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 23rd March 22 at 03:39 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    The lapels of modern Kilt Hire Era black Argylls being matching Barathea, the buttons would properly be something other than silver, say, matching black.
    I have a modern cut black barathea kilt jacket (no facings) and waistcoat with black buttons that I picked up at a very reasonable price ex-hire and I treat it as a "lounge suit" equivalent. If it's an occasion where suits are mainly being worn but kilts are appropriate, whether day or evening (or day leading into evening), it won't frighten the horses. It's a useful thing.

EEM
    "Humanity is an aspiration, not a fact of everyday life."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12