X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scotweb versus USAK

My name is kilted2000 and I am a Kiltoholic. Despite the fact that I already have a kilt on order with Barbara Tewksbury, I'm already thinking about my next kilt. Ever since I had my first kilt made 20 years ago I've thought that the Isle of Skye tartan was one of the most beautiful tartans I've ever seen.

I was thinking about getting an IoS kilt either from USAK or from Scotweb. Both offer 16oz IoS made by Locharran and Marton Mills. Between the BT kilt, a jacket, and waistcoat/vest I'm having mtm from St. Kilda, and a possible trip to the UK later this year, 2022 is proving to be a very expensive year for me. So if I went for USAK I would be getting one of their 5 yard wool kilts. Scotweb offers a 5 yard wool kilt for nearly half the price of the USAK version, and a 7 yard kilt as well as their 8 yard balmoral kilt for around the same price as the USAK 5 yarder.

I know you get what you pay for, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of Rocky's kilts to anyone else, so I was wondering if anyone had experience with Scotweb's kilts and how they compared to others. Are they good quality or do they cut corners? Do they use horsehair canvas and linings? I have asked them about the canvas, but I wanted some customer reviews. I know they are a site sponsor, but are they good value for money?
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea, as I have no experience of either establishment, but I shall be interested in any replies that come forth.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 27th March 22 at 09:38 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not be bold and make it yourself. Then the actual addiction starts.
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a kilt from each of these two vendors.

My USAK is the traditional 8-yard model. It is very nice indeed.

My Scotweb is the 5-yard "casual" model. What this means is that it has less material above the buckle, there are only two buckles, and it lacks the canvas stabilizer at the waistband. So it less fancy than my USA kilt.

However, the Scotweb kilt still looks great and I have been wearing it regularly for over ten years. So it has proven to be quite flexible and durable, despite lacking some of the features of my other kilt. I certainly think it has provided good value for the money I spent so many years ago.

So I would say it depends on what you are looking for. The Scotweb casual is less money, since it dispenses with some of the elements found on more expensive kilts.. However, it is comfortable, functional, and durable, so it might fit your needs just fine. A 5-yard kilt will never have the same "swish" as an 8-yarder, but it still looks great, so you may find the cost savings to be a good trade-off.

I'm pretty confident you will be happy with a kilt from either of these vendors.

Andrew
    Last edited by kingandrew; 19th July 22 at 04:17 PM.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    ........................... there are only two buckles......................

Andrew
    To be clear, two buckles or three should not necessarily be seen as a sign of quality, or not. It depends a lot on how the kilt maker likes to build their kilt. I know of several kilt makers of repute who prefer to use two buckles with their kilts and I know of one kilt maker who only makes bespoke kilts of the highest quality who will not make a kilt with three buckles.

Just saying.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes all my kilts, handsewn traditional wool kilts, have just the two buckles.

In my opinion the 3rd buckle is completely unnecessary. Its only function seems to be to hinder the front apron from moving with your body when sitting, and from hanging nicely when standing.

Be aware of one thing, I think all of the USA kilts and J. Higgins kilts have machine-sewn pleats.

My USA Kilts "semi-traditional 5 yard wool kilt" has top-stitched pleats meaning that there's a visible bead on each pleat, which to me is a cheaper look.

My J Higgins 8-yard wool kilt has pleats sewn on the reverse, then turned over, meaning that there are no visible stitches, a nice clean look.

A friend has an 8-yard wool kilt from St Kilda/R G Hardie/Gaelic Themes and it the same sort of machine-sewn pleats as the J Higgins kilt.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

Be aware of one thing, I think all of the USA kilts and J. Higgins kilts have machine-sewn pleats.

My USA Kilts "semi-traditional 5 yard wool kilt" has top-stitched pleats meaning that there's a visible bead on each pleat, which to me is a cheaper look.
    Would the visible top stitches be obvious to anyone or just on close inspection?
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion the 3rd buckle is completely unnecessary. Its only function seems to be to hinder the front apron from moving with your body when sitting, and from hanging nicely when standing.

My J Higgins 8-yard wool kilt has pleats sewn on the reverse, then turned over, meaning that there are no visible stitches, a nice clean look.

A friend has an 8-yard wool kilt from St Kilda/R G Hardie/Gaelic Themes and it the same sort of machine-sewn pleats as the J Higgins kilt.
    USA Kilts does have a hand-sewn model with pleats sewn from the reverse, but it's only available on their 8-yard premier kilts. All others, I believe, are top-stitched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have four kilts from Scotweb but none from USAK. I can't compare. All four kilts from Scotweb are 5yard casual kilts. I have worn all of them a lot. Two of them are in PV fabric and can be machine washed and after hanging up to dry hardly need any pressing. Absolutely brilliant for every day wear except when windy and/or cold. The third is in denim and was probably a mistake, I don't wear it often. The fourth I have had for more than five years, it is 16oz wool (Marton Mills), I have worn it a lot and despite not having any canvas stabiliser, it is wearing very well. It still looks great. As others have said a 3rd strap is not important. The Scotweb kilts are certainly good value for money; I will probably buy another.

I have seven other kilts and some are better but did cost quite a bit more. I did also buy two casual 5 yard kilts from Kilt Society. They are slightly better quality and have three straps. Very good value when they had a 20% off everything sale but very sadly they no longer do made to measure kilts.

Bob

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bob Batty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usak top stitches all their kilts until you get the to premiere 8yard which is reverse stitched.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast