X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Inverness Cape

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverness Cape

For quite some time, I've fancied adding an Inverness Cape to my wardrobe. I'd been keeping an eye out and recently had missed a rather sharp one that was in the right price range.

Then I happened to learn of someone who had one for sale and decided to see if I'd be able to have it shipped. They were agreeable and I couldn't be more pleased.

First picture was just quickly trying it on annd the second was on a recent cool and blustery evening where i went for a stroll after a cold front went by.

20220421_181920~2.jpg

20220422_190022~2.jpg

Shane

2. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverness cape

Great catch Shane! It looks grand on you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a superb looking cape.

But you're right about the price - even a modest, ordinary tweed is going to push up the price, simply because of the amout of yardage requied. Even made at-cost a cape of this quality is going to be in the hundreds.

I have had one for many years, bought new from Haggarts of Aberfeldy when they were still producing their own cloth - a 775gms (which converts to something like 1.7lb per linear metre) and is properly heavy. It was supplied with a matching ghillie-cap, so real old-school style.

The great thing about the cape is that it can be worn with virtually anything, not just Highland dress - even pyjamas, and my cape does duty as a dressing gown on mornings when lesser garments fall short of the service required..!

Enjoy yours, and wear it well..!

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lovely man named Bobby Keys whom I interviewed for our blog had a beautiful Inverness cape he wore with his Isle of Skye kilt outfit. It was a stunning blue colour. Personally, I will never trade in my fluffy dressing gown for an Inverness cape, I need all the layers as I feel cold easily. But I'm glad you're so pleased with it!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Shannon1999 For This Useful Post: