X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Plaids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fly Plaids

This is my first post, and I'll admit I'm a bit lost. I saw a post in regard to wearing fly plaids that I want to respond to as it has become a bit of "thing" with our organization. So here goes.

I am the Director of Operations for the Clan Colquhoun International Society. Our Executive Director and I have been doing this for 8+ years and were quite distressed to find that we really had no idea what the protocol of wearing a fly plaid involved. He is currently in Scotland prepping for a multi-clan event we will be holding there. Also, some of our members will be attending the inauguration of the new Buchanan Clan Chief in October. This is what he was told:

In Scotland the wearing of a fly plaid is taken much more seriously than in the US. It designates a person as being the “head or chief” of a clan, or an organization. It’s not just to dress up a kilt outfit. i.e. It’s appropriate for our Ex. Director to wear one when attending events we put on where our clan chief is not present. It’s not appropriate if Sir Malcolm (our clan chief) is present. Regarding the Buchanan inauguration, he needs permission from Sir Michael Buchanan to wear one to that event.
    My husband has only worn his once and that was to an event we held in Florida several years ago, and all this explains why he got an odd look from Sir Malcolm at the time. He found it to be a bit of a bother to wear, and I have since made a Christmas decoration out of it. LOL. In the US guys put together all sorts of combinations of kilt attire and for the most part, no one seems to care, but I would be much more careful when attending events in Scotland. I hope this is helpful.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Ms Bobby Cowing Marz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I find the fly plaid an anathema, a sort of oversized tartan handkerchief hanging from the shoulder and often pinned by some dreadfully gaudy plaid brooch. I think it’s fair to say that here in Scotland, one rarely sees a fly plaid other than those wore (by some) bridegrooms. They are generally the result of a ’fashion’ foisted on people by the kilt shop/hire trade. Apart from a couple of recent occasions that involved newly appointed clan commanders/chiefs who look like they had just stepped out of a hire shop, I can’t think that I’ve ever seen a clan chief wearing a fly plaid. I’m not talking about the half plaid that used to be worn for very formal occasions like a Royal Levee.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60426001_1230534773781632_6656204306611437568_o.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	41406

In 50 years of kilt wearing, I’ve never worn a fly plaid and never would. I too will be attending the inauguration of the new Buchanan Clan Chief in October and would be surprised if any Scot would wear a fly plaid. I strongly recommend that your Director and visiting clansmen steer well clear of a fly plaid. If events take place during the day then a good tweed jacket will do the job, if in the evening then something more toned down. Depending on the event and time of day, here is the sort of thing I might wear.

Name:	Tweed and plain.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	371.1 KB 
ID:	41405

4. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter is absolutely right with his observations and advice about fly plaids. However, some do carry a day plaid( looks like a folded blanket and without fastenings) draped over their shoulder. Very, very few bother with them these days although some Clan Chiefs do carry them on occasion as part of their attire. They are entirely optional and no permission is required from anyone should one be bothered with them.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 27th April 22 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Added a clarification
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    However, some do carry a day plaid( looks like a folded blanket and without fastenings) draped over their shoulder. Very, very few bother with them these days although some Clan Chiefs do carry them on occasion as part of their attire. They are entirely optional and no permission is required from anyone should one be bothered with them.
    One such example worn by Donald Cameron of Lochiel, XXVI Chief

Name:	Donald Cameron of Lochiel.  XXVI Chief.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	41407

8. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Bobby Cowing Marz View Post

I write this post with the greatest of respect and with some puzzlement and not a little confusion. So in the nicest and most friendly manner that I can muster, I hope my comments prove to be of some help.I have divided your post into critical points and are contained within "----". My answer follows.

"In Scotland the wearing of a fly plaid is taken much more seriously than in the US." Really? I honestly don't think so.

"It designates a person as being the “head or chief” of a clan, or an organization." That is the first that I have ever heard of this.

"It’s not just to dress up a kilt outfit. i.e. It’s appropriate for our Ex. Director to wear one when attending events we put on where our clan chief is not present." Really? That is a new one for me, and I have been wearing the kilt for a very long time!

"It’s not appropriate if Sir Malcolm (our clan chief) is present." I have not ever heard of this before, but, it may be one of those Clan traditions that is an individual thing for that particular Clan.

" Regarding the Buchanan inauguration, he needs permission from Sir Michael Buchanan to wear one to that event." Really? I very much doubt that. But, it may be what that particular Clan Chief requires.

"My husband has only worn his once and that was to an event we held in Florida several years ago, and all this explains why he got an odd look from Sir Malcolm at the time." Perhaps the "odd look" might have been one of wondering why anyone was wearing a fly plaid? In fact, anyone can wear a fly plaid at any time if they wish. In my experience most don"t even at appropriate times. A word of caution here, don't be misled by kilt hire companies and kilt hire company pictures on the internet.

"He found it to be a bit of a bother to wear, and I have since made a Christmas decoration out of it. LOL." Very sensible.

"In the US guys put together all sorts of combinations of kilt attire and for the most part, no one seems to care, but I would be much more careful when attending events in Scotland." Its is always wise to do one's homework when attending events after all one does not want to end up looking like a "lemon"!

I hope this is helpful. In truth, your post is more confusing than helpful
    I have tried to be as helpful and as kind as I can possibly be.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 27th April 22 at 07:27 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fly PLaids

Thank you for your kind words. They must have been painful to write. LOL

I agree, I've never seen anything written on this particular subject. However, I have several people researching the issue, so if anything new comes up I will let you know.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Bobby Cowing Marz View Post
    Thank you for your kind words. They must have been painful to write. LOL

I agree, I've never seen anything written on this particular subject. However, I have several people researching the issue, so if anything new comes up I will let you know.

Actually two words could have been used by me to accurately describe the situation, but I try to be a gentleman!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fly-plaid has long been a bone of contention, and frequently forms the subject of what is right and proper.

The previous comments are pretty much where the jury is at, with the fly-plaid being a functionless ornament - that is, neither a practical garment, nor really an attractive accessory to a man's Highland dress. The alternative versions of the plaid are functional and can be quite decorative also.

What you say about the fly-plaid being the reserve of the chief is perhaps a convention amongst your clan so that the chief may be easily distinguished in the crowd. No such 'rule' governs it otherwise, and fly-plaids are easily found for sale and are often an extra offered by kilt-makers.

I wonder if the confusion stems from the recent habit of calling the full-plaid, when it is worn folded alongs its length and worn draped on the shoulder, a laird's plaid - therefore chief's plaid, and that only a chief may wear a plaid.

But this, too, is a misunderstanding, as the plaid thus folded has for generations been the standard form for many, and the 'laird's plaid' title is new - no doubt for want of something better - but social status or position within a clan does not govern what may or may not be worn.

However, if you have conventions at clan functions, it is always best to observe them - you will save yourself potential discomfort from unwanted scrutiny, and the disapproval of your chief.

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	E8A36E33-C8F8-4758-A4A9-1E7694CC86F0.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	41412
    Tartan day parade NYC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post

Tartan day parade NYC
    Perhaps just a tad overdone?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast