X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Why on earth would you want to rotate the stamp 45 degrees? I cannot say that I am enthused with that style of sporran or the tooling, but what is so important about the 45 degrees? Just wondering.
    Just because as it stands it's a Celtic Cross tipped at an angle.

I would think the same if a sporran had the Eiffel Tower tipped 45 degrees on it, or any other normally upright architectural subject (the Leaning Tower of Pisa notwithstanding).
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Just because as it stands it's a Celtic Cross tipped at an angle.

I would think the same if a sporran had the Eiffel Tower tipped 45 degrees on it, or any other normally upright architectural subject (the Leaning Tower of Pisa notwithstanding).
    Perhaps, we then ought to straighten up the St. Andrews cross as well? I think one can allow history and in this case the Artists a certain amount of licence with their artwork without delving into technicalities. I think its just simpler to say "we like it" or "we don't".
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps, we then ought to straighten up the St. Andrews cross as well? I think one can allow history and in this case the Artists a certain amount of licence with their artwork without delving into technicalities. I think its just simpler to say "we like it" or "we don't".
    Well, respectfully, old friend, there are historical reasons in the lore of Christian faith that the Celtic Cross is like a 'plus sign' and the St. Andrew's cross is like one for multiplication, so that's the way many people expect to find them out of respect for that lore and years of accumulated social habit.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Well, respectfully, old friend, there are historical reasons in the lore of Christian faith that the Celtic Cross is like a 'plus sign' and the St. Andrew's cross is like one for multiplication, so that's the way many people expect to find them out of respect for that lore and years of accumulated social habit.
    With the greatest respect Bill, not everyone is "au fait" with those technicalities and I fully admit that I am unaware of them as the Christian or any religious world is not mine. I mean no offence to you or anyone else.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the greatest respect Bill, not everyone is "au fait" with those technicalities and I fully admit that I am unaware of them as the Christian or any religious world is not mine. I mean no offence to you or anyone else.
    Of course not, Jock. Just filling you in on why others see it differently. Thought you'd be interested to know and it is my area of knowledge so I'm glad to share.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course not, Jock. Just filling you in on why others see it differently. Thought you'd be interested to know and it is my area of knowledge so I'm glad to share.
    Thank you Bill and much appreciated. So out of interest, what is the significance of a tilted Celtic Cross compared to an upright one?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Bill and much appreciated. So out of interest, what is the significance of a tilted Celtic Cross compared to an upright one?
    Well, it's not so much a tilted Celtic cross that is normal. It's usually in an upright position referring to the position of the cross on which Christ is said to have been crucified.
    Andrew is said to have begged not to be crucified the same way out of humility and respect for his Lord, so they laughed at him and crucified him on an 'x' shaped cross - probably even more painful.
    Thus the norm for crosses is upright, but for St. Andrew it's the distinctive Saltire shape as depicted on Scotland's national flag. That's why the question likely arose - Celtic crosses are not normally tilted as they are considered to be a variation of the more usual upright cross.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's not so much a tilted Celtic cross that is normal. It's usually in an upright position referring to the position of the cross on which Christ is said to have been crucified.
    Andrew is said to have begged not to be crucified the same way out of humility and respect for his Lord, so they laughed at him and crucified him on an 'x' shaped cross - probably even more painful.
    Thus the norm for crosses is upright, but for St. Andrew it's the distinctive Saltire shape as depicted on Scotland's national flag. That's why the question likely arose - Celtic crosses are not normally tilted as they are considered to be a variation of the more usual upright cross.
    Funnily enough it was when I heard the St. Andrew story of his death was when I started down the road of questioning assorted religions and their stories at the age of about 8. We need not venture any further down that road now though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funnily enough it was when I heard the St. Andrew story of his death was when I started down the road of questioning assorted religions and their stories at the age of about 8. We need not venture any further down that road now though.
    No, no, we shan't do that, but I do note that legends have historically inspired some while others, even eight-year-olds have rolled their eyes and departed without further consideration. I've done both in turn, Jock, so I understand whence you come.

Cheers & blessings!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t perceive a cross; I see a circular area filled with interlace.
    Last edited by Nemuragh; 8th May 22 at 02:36 AM.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nemuragh For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast