X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now for my second kilt....

My second kilt came in, (ordered it first) Macdonald of the Isles hunting ancient colors.
    Medium weight... my mom's family heritage.
    Went for a stroll about the yard in the 90 degree heat. The kilt was far cooler than I anticipated. Much cooler than the cotton shirt! And WAY better than wearing shorts!

Looking a bit slumped due to allergies acting up.Attachment 41456
    Last edited by Kitfoxdave; 9th May 22 at 02:42 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Kitfoxdave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could have even more air circulating if you raised the kilt a couple of inches. As a guide, the bottom of the kilt needs to be somewhere between the centre of the kneecap and better still, at the top of the kneecap.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice kilt. From a fellow Clan Donald member…..you wear it well.
    Gu dùbhlanach
    Coinneach Mac Dhòmhnaill

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might make it a kilted Friday tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Nice kilt. From a fellow Clan Donald member…..you wear it well.
    Thanks, I am considering wearing it to work tomorrow for a "kilted Friday" should liven up the day in the engineering office.

Clan Donald on mother's line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitfoxdave View Post
    Thanks, I am considering wearing it to work tomorrow for a "kilted Friday" should liven up the day in the engineering office.

Clan Donald on mother's line.
    Did you wear it on Friday? What was the response from coworkers?
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it happened...

Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    Did you wear it on Friday? What was the response from coworkers?
    I did wear my kilt to work on Friday. The reaction of co-workers was quite positive. A little joking around of course. The most common question was "What is the occasion?" I replied, it is kilted friday!... Being a casual Friday, most of my co- workers were wearing jeans and t-shirts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's beautiful.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's always been one of my favourite tartans. Your kilt looks great!

My second kilt was likewise that tartan, though mine was in Modern Colours. My kilt was usually mistaken for MacKenzie, a problem you probably won't have with your Ancient Colours.

Is your kilt pleated to the sett or to the stripe? I've wondered what that tartan would look like pleated to the red stripe, or pleated to the white.

I agree with Jock, kilts look best when you can see some knee. Most commonly kilts are worn to somewhere in the upper half of the kneecap. Once kilts hit the lower half of the kneecap they start looking a bit long.

And it works from the hose end of things as well; sometimes people pull the hose too far up. There's generally some space between the bottom of the kneecap at the top of the hose.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd May 22 at 05:16 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pleated to the stripe

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

My second kilt was likewise that tartan, though mine was in Modern Colours. My kilt was usually mistaken for MacKenzie, a problem you probably won't have with your Ancient Colours.

Is your kilt pleated to the sett or to the stripe? I've wondered what that tartan would look like pleated to the red stripe, or pleated to the white.

I agree with Jock, kilts look best when you can see some knee. Most commonly kilts are worn to somewhere in the upper half of the kneecap. Once kilts hit the lower half of the kneecap they start looking a bit long.

And it works from the hose end of things as well; sometimes people pull the hose too far up. There's generally some space between the bottom of the kneecap at the top of the hose.
    The missus adjusted it to her taste and it falls about mid knee cap... the camera angle makes it look lower than it is. I generally wear the hose below the kneecap about 1.5 inches.
    As for the pleating, it is to the white stripe. Next time I get kilted up in it I will have the missus take some pictures of the back.
    My other kilt is a Mackensie old colors pleated to the sett. Side by side the colors are similar but definitely different, the size of the set is much much different!
    My mother in law is knitting me some hose to go with my kilts based on patterns in a knitting manual we found online for kilt hose and knickerbockers... I requested the thistle top design. I will need to find a pattern for the Brittany Ermine for the second set of hose....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

Here is the back view of the MacDonald of the Isles Hunting Ancient colors pleated to the stripe. And the second picture is the Mackensie old colors pleated to the sett... I wore the Mackensie kilt to work today.Attachment 41480Attachment 41481