X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning, and welcome from Eastern Ontario. I’m down near Brockville.

I feel your pain about inexpensive family tartans. McArthur is also one of those patterns that are not available in inexpensive materials. It’s not that I don’t want a traditional kilt in my family tartan, I just can’t justify the $500 that one would cost me right now. And that’s before the accessories.
    I have an inexpensive kilt I bought online, in Highland Grey. It’s ok, but it’s just on the edge of being to big. It would have been better to try it on in person. I’m hoping to pick up another this summer.

The only places in Ottawa that I have heard about, are the Scottish Irish store and The McCarthy Highland Services

Darrin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum from Calgary!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Scotland.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    It wouldn't be the tartan you wanted but USA Kilts offers kilts in polyviscose. It is man-made, but from the UK and they custom make them to your measurements. Prices start at about $100USD. You might also consider a 5-yard wool kilt in the tartan of your choice. Less expensive than the 8 yard, but few can tell the difference.
    Yea, sadly they only have wool for Johnston. I should drop by a store to see and feel the differences, I have a hard time wrapping my head around how much fabric goes into these things and from the pictures I have a hard time telling the 5 yards from the 8 yards. I'm also pretty clueless as to the distinction between these different fabrics, never even heard of polyviscose before looking up kilts..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by New France Reaver View Post
    Yea, sadly they only have wool for Johnston. I should drop by a store to see and feel the differences, I have a hard time wrapping my head around how much fabric goes into these things and from the pictures I have a hard time telling the 5 yards from the 8 yards. I'm also pretty clueless as to the distinction between these different fabrics, never even heard of polyviscose before looking up kilts..
    Know that most kiltmakers will have swatches you can order so you can see what you are getting.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Salut Bonhomme!
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings From Ontario Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by New France Reaver View Post
    Hey there.

I remember renting a kilt for prom back in the days, but Johnstone not being very popular, I had to pick a more generic tartan. Other than that, had lots of fun, really surprised a lot of folks as I'm otherwise a pretty reserved guy.

With a few years of not really going out to any event of any sort, now that stuff are resuming, I felt like finally attending to the local Highland Games. I've long wanted to go, but never went. Decided, this year is it, gonna bring my kids and gonna start a new tradition. So wouldn't it be nice to go with a kilt, and finally get a Johnstone tartan one?

I was wondering if you guys had recommendations on where to get affordable kits? I'd plan to only wear it infrequently, I can't see myself strolling into town and doing groceries with one around here. I can't really see myself dishing out 600-1000$ on something I'll rarely ever wear. But if I order one of the 100-200$ kilts I found, am I getting scammed or otherwise going to receive something that's too embarrassing to wear? Same for kids' kilt. I'd love to bring them in kilts, but some of those I saw have a pretty steep price tag for something they'll outgrow in a year. We never even buy them new clothes to begin with. Is there a good place to find second-hand kids' kilts? While I'd like the Johnstone tartan for myself, a more generic tartan for the kids would be fine. I'm near Eastern Ontario / Western Québec if I need to go to a physical store.
    I have taken to wearing kilts daily myself. I order from The Scottish & Irish Store in Ottawa Ontario. Great people and very helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12