X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from Québec, Canada

Hey there.

I remember renting a kilt for prom back in the days, but Johnstone not being very popular, I had to pick a more generic tartan. Other than that, had lots of fun, really surprised a lot of folks as I'm otherwise a pretty reserved guy.

With a few years of not really going out to any event of any sort, now that stuff are resuming, I felt like finally attending to the local Highland Games. I've long wanted to go, but never went. Decided, this year is it, gonna bring my kids and gonna start a new tradition. So wouldn't it be nice to go with a kilt, and finally get a Johnstone tartan one?

I was wondering if you guys had recommendations on where to get affordable kits? I'd plan to only wear it infrequently, I can't see myself strolling into town and doing groceries with one around here. I can't really see myself dishing out 600-1000$ on something I'll rarely ever wear. But if I order one of the 100-200$ kilts I found, am I getting scammed or otherwise going to receive something that's too embarrassing to wear? Same for kids' kilt. I'd love to bring them in kilts, but some of those I saw have a pretty steep price tag for something they'll outgrow in a year. We never even buy them new clothes to begin with. Is there a good place to find second-hand kids' kilts? While I'd like the Johnstone tartan for myself, a more generic tartan for the kids would be fine. I'm near Eastern Ontario / Western Québec if I need to go to a physical store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Failte from the Home of the Blues!
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the “Great Rabble” and good luck in your search - you’re asking a lot, but may have some luck.

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, from Inverness-shire. It is easy, very easy, to buy unsatisfactory kilt attire. Do your research and consider your choices and then, do your research again. Hurry slowly.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally understand the feeling that a hand sewn, traditional kilt, in 16 oz wool , is very expensive, and the desire to find a cheaper/ more affordable alternative. However, if you consider that the price for a yard of double wide 16 oz. Tartan is about $110 ( https://www.burnetts-struth.com/john...-heavy-weight/ ), and that it takes a minimum of four yards of double width , and the fact that really fast, good , kiltmakers take at least twenty hours to hand sew a traditional “8 yard kilt”, the reasons for the seemly high cost quickly becomes apparent.
    A more affordable alternative that you might consider, is making yourself a historical four yard box pleat kilt. Buy the “Art of Kiltmaking”, and download the free four yard box pleat supplement ( written by Matt Newsome and Barb Tewksbury : https://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu...nal/kiltmaking ).

The four yard box pleat kilt is much easier to start with, as it uses half the cloth, and no material is cut out, for the pleats in the fell, so it can easily be reused.
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Welcome, from Inverness-shire. It is easy, very easy, to buy unsatisfactory kilt attire. Do your research and consider your choices and then, do your research again. Hurry slowly.
    Yea, lots of stuff being offered, with a rather wide price range, though most seem to fall in about the same ball-park. I've seen it said though that price is not always a good measure of quality, though, and that many suppliers don't offer the quality that you'd expect from their price. In another thread here for example, I saw someone mention a company with low prices, and then others chime in that the company has a bad reputation of not actually delivering. So you know, the whole "too good to be true" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jhockin View Post
    I totally understand the feeling that a hand sewn, traditional kilt, in 16 oz wool , is very expensive, and the desire to find a cheaper/ more affordable alternative. However, if you consider that the price for a yard of double wide 16 oz. Tartan is about $110 ( https://www.burnetts-struth.com/john...-heavy-weight/ ), and that it takes a minimum of four yards of double width , and the fact that really fast, good , kiltmakers take at least twenty hours to hand sew a traditional “8 yard kilt”, the reasons for the seemly high cost quickly becomes apparent.
    A more affordable alternative that you might consider, is making yourself a historical four yard box pleat kilt. Buy the “Art of Kiltmaking”, and download the free four yard box pleat supplement ( written by Matt Newsome and Barb Tewksbury : https://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu...nal/kiltmaking ).

The four yard box pleat kilt is much easier to start with, as it uses half the cloth, and no material is cut out, for the pleats in the fell, so it can easily be reused.
    I want to emphasize that I don't mean to disrespect the artisans that do these things. I know fabric is expensive, period, and that labor in making clothing, when not charged at Asian sweat-shop rates, also adds up quickly. I'm willing to learn how to sow a kilt if it can yield significant savings, I've seen a few videos and it looks do-able (I wouldn't expect master-level quality result, but still). Just saying, right now my whole wardrobe's worth less than an authentic 8 yard kilt, hence the hesitancy to go with that option for something I am not currently planning to wear regularly. Wearing one at a special occasion or when a bunch of others are doing the same is one thing, but I'm rather reserved and I don't really mean to have the whole town staring at me while I'm just doing groceries or picking up the kids at school. :P

I've started looking at the book you mentioned (well the docs available on her website), looks like it has a lot of interesting info. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Colorado!
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't be the tartan you wanted but USA Kilts offers kilts in polyviscose. It is man-made, but from the UK and they custom make them to your measurements. Prices start at about $100USD. You might also consider a 5-yard wool kilt in the tartan of your choice. Less expensive than the 8 yard, but few can tell the difference.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome!

Glad you have joined the rabble!
    There are some nice tartans, maple leaf, 1624 Montreal, and Plaid du Quebec that may be available locally in second hand shops.
    That may help the wallet a bit! Enjoy wearing your kilt and do it with confidence and a sense of humor. You will be surprised at how many positive comments you get!

I live in sunny Florida and got my first kilt a couple months ago. Wish I did it decades back!

My Quebec ancestors go back to the 1630's

Good luck in your search! And have fun!

Check out clearance pricing at some of the bigger online Scottish vendors, got a 100% wool kilt and Argyle jacket new for $323 usd shipped!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast