X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am i glad to stand corrected!
    I know a couple of good people, around Aberdeen. And wrote my comments, out of statements from them.
    How many Scots wear the kilt, as a casual garb?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauge View Post
    --------

Not that many. In my fairly long life I have known three full time kilt wearers and sadly two are now dead, but there are quite a few, like me, who wear the kilt casually fairly regularly around here. At a guess, we would not be anywhere near the 40% of civilian kilt wearers from around here, who please note, are not the majority of the local male population.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 24th May 22 at 02:46 AM. Reason: corrected the figures!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear the kilt full time. And I am not dead, Jock.

Alan

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    I wear the kilt full time. And I am not dead, Jock.

Alan
    I am delighted to learn that you are a full time kilt wearer and I am even more delighted that you are still breathing!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauge View Post
    Am i glad to stand corrected!
    I know a couple of good people, around Aberdeen. And wrote my comments, out of statements from them.
    On a frequent basis, very few – for an occasional special occasion, many more.

My point was more that kilts are certainly not, in modern Scotland, only for black tie wear – there are other occasions where they are frequently worn. A trip to Murrayfield for a 6 Nations rugby game will attest to that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A kilt, an option in attire.

I really enjoy the value this forum adds to the concept of a gent’s attire. I have seen young lads in matching kilts, t-shirts, boon-docker boots with their hose scrunched down to their ankles. We all got off the train in Aberfeldy. I was in day wear casual and I suspect they had a game somewhere. Other than that, I was the most consistent kilter I have seen in all our time in Scotland. It wasn’t an issue either way, just folks going about their business.

I do recall, while kilted in London, in St. James Park, encountering a family of Scots, dressed in everyday attire. The gentleman asked if I wore the kilt often. I said yes, for pride and comfort. He said, “Do you wear it respectfully?

My response, “Yes, always.” They were satisfied that I wasn’t some clown in a kilt. I think the hardest transition is learning to wear the kilt as opposed to it wearing you. No need for weird baggage - it is an article of clothing and that type has been worn all over the globe throughout history.

Heck, in Fiji I even wear a Sulu, their particular wrap-around.

So wear it like it belongs on you, ‘cause it does. No clothes Nazis here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGRatSea View Post
    I really enjoy the value this forum adds to the concept of a gent’s attire. I have seen young lads in matching kilts, t-shirts, boon-docker boots with their hose scrunched down to their ankles. We all got off the train in Aberfeldy. I was in day wear casual and I suspect they had a game somewhere.
    Aye, that’s sort of the modern ‘uniform’ for casual kilt wearing amongst younger Scots, so you will see it occasionally, often in groups like that. They might be off to a game (if they have footie or rugger tops on, certainly), but they might just be off out for a session at the pub, or a bit of a hike.

Not an everyday sight, but not an uncommon one either!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear my kilts casually, daily, for comfort and convenience where ever I am and am not concerned what others think, that’s no one of my business. Occasionally I get compliments but most of the time, as far as I am aware, no one pays much notice. My hearing clarity is none too good these days so there maybe things I miss but as long as I’m happy, I’m not bothered. It’s certainly not for show or to make any sort of statement, it’s for me.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12