X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool What They Don’t Say About The Kilt

Fantastic video produced by Bruce at Scotland History Tours on YouTube about the history of the kilt and, more specifically, the rules and regulations surrounding it.

Some of the details he shares are things I’ve never heard before. For instance, he claims that while Highland dress was banned for the general population, you could in fact wear it if you fell into certain groups, like joining the British army. Would love to hear what other historians here would have to say on Bruce’s take on the history of the kilt.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

https://youtu.be/gPLKLVvX_L4
    -Adam
    Not all who wander are lost... -Professor J.R.R. Tolkien

I hoip
    in God!

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to SoulFyre777 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems pretty reasonable to me; a bit of an advert for his favourite kiltmaker perhaps, but a good look at the history from what little I know.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I particularly like the "pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap" comments about the kilts that tartan tat shops sell in Princecess St. and other places. He is absolutely right, they do look dreadful.

Alright, yes! We all have to start from somewhere with our kilt attire and the "tartan tat" shop is often for many, their first step into the realms of kilt attire, but please let us not delude ourselves that they compare in any way with a properly made kilt.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 18th May 22 at 02:24 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally took a look at his video, my only comments are overall not bad. The Rawlinson theory really must be forgotten as it's simply not true and further shows how far the powers that be were willing to go in order to control the entire scene. Also I would be far more likely to listen to him were he wearing the kilt himself.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I finally took a look at his video, my only comments are overall not bad. The Rawlinson theory really must be forgotten as it's simply not true and further shows how far the powers that be were willing to go in order to control the entire scene. Also I would be far more likely to listen to him were he wearing the kilt himself.
    Nice to see you posting again Glen. Why would that Scot wear a kilt? He is just making an attire choice-----trousers----- that most Scots would make whilst working.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th May 22 at 04:38 AM. Reason: clarification.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Nice to see you posting again Glen. Why would that Scot wear a kilt? He is just making an attire choice-----trousers----- that most Scots would make whilst working.
    It comes down to the same disappointment I felt when watching the much publicized “Men in Kilts” with that fellow from Outlander. They hardly wore the garment. I think if you are promoting a video on the history of the kilt it might be a good idea to wear one. It lends credence to your presentation.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    It comes down to the same disappointment I felt when watching the much publicized “Men in Kilts” with that fellow from Outlander. They hardly wore the garment. I think if you are promoting a video on the history of the kilt it might be a good idea to wear one. It lends credence to your presentation.
    I think the chap's attire breathes a healthy dose of realism. "Hamming up" a situation, by donning the unnecessary kilt , that gives the wrong impression to the starry-eyed world wide public, is not in the least bit helpful in the long run. I just wish the world could rid themselves of the impression that the kilt is worn in Scotland by the the public at large for almost any reason and at all times. It is a situation that is inaccurate and not what the majority of the male population in Scotland do on a day to day basis.

Yes, it is true some, a minority, do wear the kilt more often than most in Scotland and I would be one, but for day to day work and life in general, the kilt is not often the choice. It is very tiresome that Scotland, in some eyes and minds from afar, is some sort of fantasy land. I am delighted that the gentleman in question is following normality and is not wearing the kilt for his video! I wonder if he gave any thought to wearing the kilt for his video? I have no idea, but I suspect that the thought did not even enter his mind.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th May 22 at 08:56 AM.

12. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely understand what you are saying here Jock. There are no illusions on my end as to kilt wearing Scotsmen round every corner off the high street, but it must be tiresome combatting that stereotype.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. The kilt, as a symbol of Highland culture, seems to be on the way out.
    Only being worn at special occasions. Either black or white tie.

As a garment of comfort, it's slowly getting more, and more accepted. Especially in pop culture.
    I'm not Scot, even thoug having genes in common with Scots. Wearing kilt, for me, is a choice of comfort.
    And a couple of weeks ago, i saw another Dane wearing the Kilt. This as a first time irl.
    That he did it, as part of a dress code, pointing towards Hollywood/Viking/Soap is another thing.

It has been known for ages, that there were more Kilt wearers outside, than in, Scotland...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think it’s correct to say it’s on the way out – the general Scottish public wear kilts more often these days than for many decades. It’s certainly worn for more occasions than just black/white tie – the most common ones would be weddings, Hogmanay, national rugby/football games and ceilidhs. And at those events you’ll see a plenty of kilts – often a large majority.

And obviously there are other circumstances Scots will wear them. Personally, I like keeping my kilt primarily for special occasions – but for me I still usually manage a good 20 or so days a year, all in. (No problem with people who wear it more, but let’s not pretend that’s the norm amongst Scots)

But yes, I’m not a big fan of people hamming it up for tourists etc. The impression visitors sometimes have that everyone will be wearing kilts when they walk down Princes Street is a bit silly, and I don’t think the stereotype really benefits anyone.
    Last edited by Regimental; 22nd May 22 at 04:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast