X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any alternatives to strap/buckles on kilts?

For personal medical reasons I can no longer independently do somewhat complex movements with my fingers, I was wondering what kind of alternatives there might be. Velcro is a last resort, surely, I wanted to explore what kinds of fastenings might be employed.

for example on my trousers I replaced buttons with zippers & hooks & eyes; for dress shirts; there are magnetic buttons that are hidden when you wear a tie etc.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kriegbert For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose you could try a couple of snap fasteners (also called press stud, dome fastener, popper, snap or tich). Depending on how your kilt is constructed, you may be able to hide the heads.

Magnets are another possibility, but you'd need some strong ones, like rare earth magnets. I'd be concerned about possible medical concerns with having such a strong e-m field that close to the body.

Buttons would be another possibility, maybe sewing a loop or two onto the edge of the kilt apron to hook over buttons on your hip.
    John

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just about every fastening system ever devised has been used on kilts.

I have seen ties, pins, a single long belt going all the way around the back, buckles with leather straps, buckles with fabric straps, snaps, buttons, hooks and eyes, Velcro, and no fasteners at all that rely on the pressure of the belt to hold everything in place.

In your case I would opt for hooks and eyes. I did a kilt like this for a customer who had very limited use of his fingers and hands. I then went one step further and put rare earth magnets on the buckle tabs. The leather straps were permanently through the buckles and when the kilt was fastened with the hooks and eyes, the magnets formed false buckles. When worn you could not tell that the buckles were just for looks.

I also fit multiple hooks and eyes for the same customer because his weight changed rapidly and without warning. The kilt could be fitted to different sized waists instantly.

Using 5 sets of hooks and eyes, they were fit like this -

Right side.............................................. .....Left Side
    Eye - Eye - Eye - Eye..........Hook - Hook - Hook - Hook
    .......Hook.....................................Ey e
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 28th May 22 at 08:05 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

LoE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Just about every fastening system ever devised has been used on kilts.

I have seen ties, pins, a single long belt going all the way around the back, buckles with leather straps, buckles with fabric straps, snaps, buttons, hooks and eyes, Velcro, and no fasteners at all that rely on the pressure of the belt to hold everything in place.

In your case I would opt for hooks and eyes. I did a kilt like this for a customer who had very limited use of his fingers and hands. I then went one step further and put rare earth magnets on the buckle tabs. The leather straps were permanently through the buckles and when the kilt was fastened with the hooks and eyes, the magnets formed false buckles. When worn you could not tell that the buckles were just for looks.

I also fit multiple hooks and eyes for the same customer because his weight changed rapidly and without warning. The kilt could be fitted to different sized waists instantly.

Using 5 sets of hooks and eyes, they were fit like this -

Right side.............................................. .....Left Side
    Eye - Eye - Eye - Eye..........Hook - Hook - Hook - Hook
    .......Hook.....................................Ey e
    EagleJCS, thanks, no issue with magnets, fortunately I don’t have pacemakers or anything like that. There are magnets I found with partial covers on the covers so should resist pulling off:

https://richarms.com/product/half-cover-magnetic-snaps

Steve: Ties, pins, & buttons are probably out of the options for the initial reason I stated, though out of those buttons probably are most preferable.

The hooks & eyes seem good, & possibly snaps. Do you have any photos? The "fake" buckle with invisible Hooks & eyes does seem very appealing. It's not too difficult to imagine how for example the hook & eye might be constructed, but not sure how they would be done without the extra eyes showing unless it was worn at maximum girth? I'm talking in situations where of course the normal buckles would normally be visible such as when wearing a prince Charlie coatee or similar. The large size range adaptable you mention also is highly appealing, as I have gained considerable weight due to my limited mobility but intend to make lifestyle changes to lose some.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd advise a D ring to hold the inner apron and a Velcro fold over strap - as it would be hidden away and it would take the strain but be easily adjustable. Velcro can be damaging, and unwieldy too, but I think that the fold over onto itself strap is the best option - particularly when it will be compressed in wear.

The hook part of the Velcro should be the loose end of the strap and the other end best attached to the edge of the apron, the D ring to go on the inside of the waistline. The strap goes through the D ring outwards, then folds over itself to the right and connects to the loop side of the Velcro. That way there is little possibility of damage to the fabric.
    If the loop Velcro is wider than the hook Velcro that would provide further protection even if the strap was slightly misaligned. The loops strip would be longer than the piece with hooks so as to provide some adjustment.

Once the inner apron was secured then the over apron fastening would be relieved of strain and could be relatively lightweight as it only needs to hold the apron in place rather than take any pressure or weight.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post: