X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do clan crests come from?

I'm not sure if this goes here, in the Clans forum, or in the Heraldry forum, so if I guessed wrongly please move. Where did clan crests come from? I'm guessing they were another 19th-century invention, but I haven't heard anything about their history. Were there Allen brothers for crests? I think they are heraldic, but where did the practice come from of wearing them on a bonnet? I believe I have read that it was post-1746. I'm just curious, I love history and like to know the history of things.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your guess is fairly near the mark.

Clan crests, as we call them today, are a kind of mock-heraldry or heraldic adaptation from genuine arms of the clan chief, or recognised armiger, and senior of the clan or name.

What we now see is the strap-and-buckle device with the clan chief's crest (the symbloic motif of an animal, bird, arm, whatever) that is depicted on his coat of arms above the helm.

In distant past ages, those working on official business for a duke, count, baron, knight or other authority, would wear their patron's crest on a strap or belt as a badge of office and authority. A form of this is continued today with police badges and military insignia, etc.

With the revival of clan interest in the 19th century, some form of 'official' identity was required, and the strap-and-buckle clan badge came about - but not without controversy. These were originally too close in appearance to that of the Order of the Garter that alterations had to be made, but the result has pleased the Lyon Court, which has recognised them as being proper heraldic forms of clan identity.

But the are not to be confused with a 'coat' of arms - which is something quite different and distinct.

An armiger, that is, a man who has his own coat of arms, should wear his own crest within a circlet - not a strap-and-buckle - and may wear feathers also if he is of the appropriate rank.

The clan crests as bonnet badges, lapel brooches, kilt-pins, etc, have no great history, but have come to be preferred to the clans' plant badges - the authenticity of which has been questioned, as the same clan has been attributed different plants by different authorities.

Very little of what clans, tartans and Highland dress is all about today would be recognised by early 18th century Highlanders, or thought necessary. But we do it as an of expression of pride in culture and heritage, and a sense of belonging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be of interest that the word "slogan" comes from the Gaelic sluagh-ghairm = sluagh "army" + gairm "cry".

Alan