X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Richardthelarge asked:

I’m planning a vacation in Scotland this August for the first time in 16 years. I’ll be flying into Inverness and staying a week. I’d very much appreciate any thoughts on what the best things are to see in that amount of time—most of the articles on the subject seem to contradict one another (as, indeed, the rabble might). Castles, lochs, and other landscapes would be my first priority, with distilleries close behind, and I haven’t settled on where to stay.
    If I may, I'd like to expand the conversation just a bit as well. My wife and I will be in Scotland next spring. The focal point will be a tour we're taking to the Orkneys, and they'll overnight in Inverness and tour through the north a bit - Culloden and Loch Ness, for example, so the comments on those areas earlier in the thread were most welcome. We'll base out of Edinburgh, though, so I'm looking for thoughts on that city. In particular:

Good place to stay near Edinburgh Bus Station (the tour will depart from and return to it).

Best (most unusual or interesting) places to shop for kilt-related items? I doubt my wife can tolerate more than one or two

Finally, we'll be taking the train from London. Any thoughts on this? Places to stop along the way?
    When in doubt, end with a jig. - Robin McCauley

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orkney is a very interesting place and I am quite sure that you will enjoy your time there.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt attire

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Orkney is a very interesting place and I am quite sure that you will enjoy your time there.
    As regards looking for kilt goods, including a kilt - don’t forget to peek into the “charity shops” in your wanders. With two friends, as we walked Stirling, we spotted a nice kilt for about 35GBP. It turned out to be a Clan Bruce tartan and had been taken in a bit. The wife let it back out and it fit her hubby (Clan Grant) just fine. While I have three fine kilts I was a bit envious of the quality and price (frugal Scot?).

Charity shops are known as “thrift stores” in the US. I never turn up my nose at them. My Harris Tweed (Shetland) kilt jacket was made from a modified $4.00 sport coat.

Happy travels. If you go to Loch Ness, stop in Drumnadrochit, en route to Urquhart Castle. It was there we spied Nessie’s snorkle. Also had a fine bit ‘o Haggis. By the way, the castle was used as a set for a Sherlock Holmes movie (with Basil Rathbone) set in WWII.

Cheers!

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RGRatSea For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking the train fr9m London...

York is a nice location to stop, as well as Hadrians wall.
    You can often catch a cab at the station and get a tour from the driver for a reasonable price...

If you ebjoy Bernard Cornwell's Last Kingdom series, Bamburg castle is north of Newcastle....

Have a wonderful time!!!!

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just returned from a fortnight in Orkney. I understand from what you say that you will be on an arranged tour there, but I'll throw in some thoughts regardless.

The Ring of Brodgar; Stenness Stone Circle; Maes Howe; the Ness of Brodgar (Ruth and I spent a day working in the active dig there); Bishops Palace in Kirkwall; the Broch of Gurness; Skara Brae; the Churchill Barriers; the Italian Chapel; Highland Park and Scapa Distilleries and Orkney Brewery.

As I said earlier in this thread, I would give a pass to the Drum and to Urquhart Castle, but Culloden and the Clava Cairns nearby are jointly worth at least a day in themselves. Cawdor and Brodie Castles to the east of Inverness. The Cawdor Inn is owned by Orkney Brewing and is a great place for a mid-day meal.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the good wishes and good advice! Trying to respond to some of the specific suggestions ...

Yes, I'd taken note of Bamburg. I do enjoy Cornwell.

And some of the locations in the Orkneys are on the tour. We may also have some free time to get about, so the additional suggestions are welcome.

Hadn't thought of Hadrian's Wall!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    York is probably the best option for a stop on your way North, if traveling by train.

If looking for somewhere close to Edinburgh bus station, I would probably stat at the Motel One (Princes), which is by Waterloo Place. It's a good balance between quality and price. Although if the budget runs to it, the Balmoral just over the road is more upscale. Both are about a 5 minute walk to the bus station - and also handy for one of my favourite places to eat, Howies at Waterloo Place. The Balmoral also has a fantastic whisky bar - so even if you aren't staying there it worth dropping in for a dram (or two). There is also an Ibis and a Malmaison on St Andrew's Square - which are even closer to the bus station (although I haven't stayed at either of these), and the Royal Scots Club is nearby.

In terms of kilt shops, Gordon Nicolson on Cannongate would be my pick of the bunch (it's also next door to the awesome Fudge House - if you need a sugar fix), or you could head out towards Leith and drop in at Kinloch Anderson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    York is probably the best option for a stop on your way North, if traveling by train.

If looking for somewhere close to Edinburgh bus station, I would probably stat at the Motel One (Princes), which is by Waterloo Place. It's a good balance between quality and price. Although if the budget runs to it, the Balmoral just over the road is more upscale. Both are about a 5 minute walk to the bus station - and also handy for one of my favourite places to eat, Howies at Waterloo Place. The Balmoral also has a fantastic whisky bar - so even if you aren't staying there it worth dropping in for a dram (or two). There is also an Ibis and a Malmaison on St Andrew's Square - which are even closer to the bus station (although I haven't stayed at either of these), and the Royal Scots Club is nearby.

In terms of kilt shops, Gordon Nicolson on Cannongate would be my pick of the bunch (it's also next door to the awesome Fudge House - if you need a sugar fix), or you could head out towards Leith and drop in at Kinloch Anderson.
    I don't want to pepper the thread with too many "thanks", but this sounds like really useful advice.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678