X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vacation in Scotland

Dear Rabble,

I’m planning a vacation in Scotland this August for the first time in 16 years. I’ll be flying into Inverness and staying a week. I’d very much appreciate any thoughts on what the best things are to see in that amount of time—most of the articles on the subject seem to contradict one another (as, indeed, the rabble might). Castles, lochs, and other landscapes would be my first priority, with distilleries close behind, and I haven’t settled on where to stay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Castle trail
    https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do...-castle-trail/

Whisky trail
    https://maltwhiskytrail.com/

Maybe stay in Huntly or Keith and hire a car? Or there are bus tours from Aberdeen.

Alan
    Last edited by neloon; 2nd June 22 at 11:57 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we visited pre-covid with another couple my wife and I stayed at the Kingsmilles Hotel in one of the Garden Rooms. It was very nice accommodations. I'm not certain of the price range since we booked as part of a larger package deal.

We did visit the Culloden Battlefield. The museum there was very interesting, and we all enjoyed the presentations. They did a really great job of showing the events from both sides of the battle and the events leading up to it.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Standard For This Useful Post:

LoE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inverness has a castle, which was until recently used as a courthouse. The grounds and the north tower are normally open to visitors.
    Diribught Park is well worth a visit for its semi-natural woodland and gardens, and via its footbridges you can hopscotch among several small Ness Islands in the river.
    Personally I find Inverness not particularly attractive as a city, but it does have a good variety of tourist accommodation from modern hotels to family run bed and breakfasts and it makes a good centre for day trips. From Inverness, you could have a day out by train to the north coast at Thurso or the west coast at Kyle of Lochalsh, or the ski resort of Aviemore, or the sandy beach at Nairn. By bus you could travel down the Great Glen to Fort William. A boat trip on Loch Ness may be worthwhile if the weather is favourable.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are off to a good start -

Quote Originally Posted by RichardtheLarge View Post
    Dear Rabble,

I’m planning a vacation in Scotland this August for the first time in 16 years. I’ll be flying into Inverness and staying a week. I’d very much appreciate any thoughts on what the best things are to see in that amount of time—most of the articles on the subject seem to contradict one another (as, indeed, the rabble might). Castles, lochs, and other landscapes would be my first priority, with distilleries close behind, and I haven’t settled on where to stay.
    Hello Clansman,

In the Inverness area you might want to visit Drumnadrochit. We stayed at Drumbuie Farm B& B (https://www.loch-ness-farm-bandb.co.uk/>). It is a 12-mile cab ride from Inverness and give you access to Loch Ness, the village of Drumnadrochit (Home of Shinty) and Urquhart Castle. Urquhart is the family name of your hosts at the B&B. When we were there we walked to the castle. I was the only gent in a kilt (Stewart Hunting) and a bunch of French ladies wanted photos with me. They had no english but the word “Photo?” Was enough. Had a great time all around.

Had a great meal at Fiddlers in the village. Had a Swedish family seated at the table next to us. I had ordered Haggis (Cockburn) and they were most intrigued. I offered a bite to the mom & she thought it was good but the despite the father’s endorsement the children would not be convinced.

Leaving Inverness we took the train to Stirling, a place we have visited several times. The castle is great. A short walk from our B&B took us across the River Forth to the Wallace Monument. From Stirling you can take a day trip to Edinburgh.

Go, be bold, kilt up and settle in.

Best regards from the Highlands of Oregon.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to RGRatSea For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard, a couple of questions: when will you be at Inverness, and do you plan to hire a car?

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit late on this, sorry. As you are basing your visit on and around the Inverness area, in my humble opinion there is one must see item, Fort George and only a couple of miles from Inverness airport.
    It’s probably one of the finest examples of intact Georgian military defensive construction anywhere and ,I think, is still an active barracks. There is a fine museum and the walk around the substantial ramparts gives a fine view of the area with a great chance of seeing the dolphins frolicking in the Moray Firth.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard doesn't seem to have been on the forum since shortly after he posted his request, but I agree with Jock that Fort George at Ardersier is worth a bundle of time. Built after Culloden it is still an active barracks, has a superb museum and its star-shaped ramparts are the most impressive in Europe.

Culloden Battlefield is also worth a lot of time and its Centre displays tell the story from both sides.

Nearby are the Balnuarin of Clava bronze-age burial cairns, a place for quiet thoughts about our past.

Inverness City is simply another city, but it has some super places to visit: the islands in the river, Leakey's bookshop on Church Street, Chisholms where most in Inverness and its surroundings shop for fine traditional Highland civilian dress, and more if Richards asks.

Added: if you have a car and are at Inverness the weekend of August 5 and 6, I suggest a good taste of contemporary Highland country life can be found at the Highland Field Sports Fair at Moy (now called the Moy Country Fair): shooting, gun dog trials, falconry, terrier racing, 200+ vendors offering everything from heavy equipment, fishing/shooting/stalking gear, conservation interests, Highland crafts, local foods, and much more -- all on the banks of Loch Moy on the Moy Estate.

I'm always about, so ask for 'Rex' at the tent nearest Moy Hall and they will tell you where to find me.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 1st July 22 at 10:52 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Richard doesn't seem to have been on the forum since shortly after he posted his request, but I agree with Jock that Fort George at Ardersier is worth a bundle of time. Built after Culloden it is still an active barracks, has a superb museum and its star-shaped ramparts are the most impressive in Europe.

Culloden Battlefield is also worth a lot of time and its Centre displays tell the story from both sides.

Nearby are the Balnuarin of Clava bronze-age burial cairns, a place for quiet thoughts about our past.

Inverness City is simply another city, but it has some super places to visit: the islands in the river, Leakey's bookshop on Church Street, Chisholms where most in Inverness and its surroundings shop for fine traditional Highland civilian dress, and more if Richards asks.

Added: if you have a car and are at Inverness the weekend of August 5 and 6, I suggest a good taste of contemporary Highland country life can be found at the Highland Field Sports Fair at Moy (now called the Moy Country Fair): shooting, gun dog trials, falconry, terrier racing, 200+ vendors offering everything from heavy equipment, fishing/shooting/stalking gear, conservation interests, Highland crafts, local foods, and much more -- all on the banks of Loch Moy on the Moy Estate.

I'm always about, so ask for 'Rex' at the tent nearest Moy Hall and they will tell you where to find me.
    Not to hijack the thread, but as I'll be in the Inverness/Black Isle area for several days next month, I would love any and all recommendations you have to offer.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Rex, I am afraid the wonderful show at Moy is a no go for me this year. I had a rather bad fall whilst fishing a few weeks ago and after spending four weeks in Raigmore, I am now recuperating at home with a dicky leg which is going to “clip my wings” more than somewhat for the foreseeable future. But rest assured that I will be at Moy in spirit!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

18. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast