X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose for Formal Occasions

Good Afternoon Fellow Kilters,

I have another question that I can't really find an answer to. When going to formal events in the past I have worn either custom made Argyle hose or store-bought diced hose with my Montrose or Prince Charlie and my modern tartan kilts. However, I have an opportunity to obtain a kilt in the "dress" tartan (I know a lot of people do not like and even look down on the "dress" tartans, especially for men, but I am thinking of being a rebel here ) -- My question is this -- What hose would be most appropriate for a dress tartan kilt with a fair amount of white in it?

Would the matching-colour Argyle or diced be okay? Or should the hose also have a fair amount of white in the pattern?

Would cream/white hose be appropriate (I know these are also discouraged by many kilt wears now, although 20 years ago it seemed the recommended thing to do), although I am not a huge fan of them?

A solid dark colour to match the dark portion of the kilt?

Not that it will make much of a difference, but the shoes will probably be the very formal "Mary Jane" buckled brogues.

Again, I will thank y'all in advance for your thoughts, opinions, suggestions, and recommendations.

Scott

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I would be looking for tartan hose to match (expensive and limited use) or, a pair of diced hose that contrast well with the tartan such as red and blue, red and green etc.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post: