X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    What about pre19th century examples? Don't remember seeing a fringe on the plaid found on one of the bog bodies?

None of the clothes in the Scottish bog burials are ‘Highland Clothes’ and so any ‘plaid’ (not that I can think on an example) is therefore comparable with the style dating to the early 19th century being discussed here. The burial at Dungiven in Ireland, which ‘may’ be of a Scottish/Highland mercenary, includes a mantle but again, it is not the garment being discussed here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    None of the clothes in the Scottish bog burials are ‘Highland Clothes’ and so any ‘plaid’ (not that I can think on an example) is therefore comparable with the style dating to the early 19th century being discussed here. The burial at Dungiven in Ireland, which ‘may’ be of a Scottish/Highland mercenary, includes a mantle but again, it is not the garment being discussed here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220802-232031_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	41632
    How about this Plaid then? I'd say it counts close enough as a garment which could be referred to in modern terms as a 'Lairds Plaid" even if it's not worn with a phillabeg.

Found Hill of Quintfall near Wick which is North of "The Highland Line" and the probable age of the body was late 17th early 18th C based on coins also found dating to Charles I and William and Mary plus the clothes were probably much older and being 'recycled'.
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 2nd August 22 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Logan View Post
    Would it still be possible to see the pleating style of your kilt?
    I forgot all about that, my apologies. I'll try to get something soon.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220802-232031_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	41632
    How about this Plaid then? I'd say it counts close enough as a garment which could be referred to in modern terms as a 'Lairds Plaid" even if it's not worn with a phillabeg.

Found Hill of Quintfall near Wick which is North of "The Highland Line" and the probable age of the body was late 17th early 18th C based on coins also found dating to Charles I and William and Mary plus the clothes were probably much older and being 'recycled'.
    I know these pieces well. I maintain that they are not Highland Clothes; nor is has it been deterimined that the man was a Highlander. The full description of the clothes is here.

The description of the plaid shows that it is only partial and it cannot be determined if it was the same size as what is now called a Laird's Plaid or, was originally a larger piece. The separate item made from the same cloth may well represent the reuse of an older, longer length.

The blanket or plaid calls for no special notice. It is about 8 feet 6 inches by 5 feet arid is formed of two narrow widths sewn together. Each width has a darker-hued border about 1J inch from its outer edge, very similar to the dark stripe near the edge of a modern blanket. The plaid is excessively tattered at one end, and a considerable piece of its surface at that part is missing. Of the same cloth as the plaid, and showing at its narrow end a little of the darker border just mentioned, is a piece of shaped cloth the position on the wearer and the function of which we have not been able to determine.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The back of the kilt

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456