X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first pipe band, the 3M Company Pipe Band from London, Ontario, which I joined in 1958, wore a version of the regulation doublet. Note the front "chain" closure (actually a piece of matching silver piping) as is standard nowadays on pipers' Argyle jackets. The attached photo, taken a year or so before I joined the band, shows a number of elements typical of pipe band dress in the 1950s: tartan bag cover, tartan tie, horsehair sporran, full tartan hose, cock feather on the glengarry. Difficult to see in the photo, but the band members wore decorative leather flaps covering the laces on their shoes. The photo was sent to me recently by a former bandmate. Unfortunately, it has had some hard use, but is still fairly clear.

3M PB 195-.jpg

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to imrichmond For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imrichmond View Post
    My first pipe band, the 3M Company Pipe Band from London, Ontario, which I joined in 1958, wore a version of the regulation doublet. Note the front "chain" closure (actually a piece of matching silver piping) as is standard nowadays on pipers' Argyle jackets. The attached photo, taken a year or so before I joined the band, shows a number of elements typical of pipe band dress in the 1950s: tartan bag cover, tartan tie, horsehair sporran, full tartan hose, cock feather on the glengarry. Difficult to see in the photo, but the band members wore decorative leather flaps covering the laces on their shoes. The photo was sent to me recently by a former bandmate. Unfortunately, it has had some hard use, but is still fairly clear.

We used to wear the leather flaps that covered the laces of our shoes too. I thought they were great. They modernized the uniform about five or six years ago. Switched out the Balmorals for Glengarries, changed all the sporrans, got rid of the lovat blue coats in favour of vests. They look like every other band. I liked that the uniforms were different than everyone elses

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to piperalpha For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperalpha View Post
    Is this a variation of a sheriffmuir doublet? I've always love this coat. Maybe I'll have to have one made to match. I've never seen anything like it. The photo is of Pipe Major G.S. MacLennan.
    One of the greatest pipe music composers in history. Thanks for posting!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12