X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanted Sporran Cantle

I would like to buy a Victorian Era sporran cantle. I'm interested in anything that resembles the photos below

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting photos there!

I've seen the sporran at left somewhere, as I recall it's a child's or youth's sporran.

The cantle at right is gorgeous, I don't think I've seen it before, or any cantle where the ends are like a banner or scroll.

I should mention that these solid-metal cast cantles, though they did exist in Victorian times, were rare.

Victorian cantles (and buckles) are usually fabricated out of sheet metal (usually German Silver) then either left plain or engraved with thistles or Celtic knotwork.

It's after 1900 when the solid cast-metal cantles with 3D designs cast into them become the most common type. They're generally cast in solid German Silver, then sometimes silver plated. They're mistaken for Sterling Silver all the time.

Here's a typical Victorian cantle, cut and soldered from sheet German Silver then engraved.

Last edited by OC Richard; 24th June 22 at 05:38 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte