X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommendations for Kilt Brushes?

I've used only lint rollers & synthetic brushed on my woolen kilt but am looking to buy natural bristle (heard horse or hog is preferred as they have more give) & a lint brush as well for pet fur removal etc. Would be good to have an option in travel size as well, what do you recommend? I had a Kent brush in mind as I've used a shaving brush in the past from them & seemed good quality but wanted to know any other options

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tartan wool cloth is pretty tough stuff, its certainly not bullet proof though! I find a soft clothes brush of natural fibres------I have never been too concerned from what animal----- will do the job perfectly well. If on rare occasion that the brush cannot remove things, then off goes the kilt to the cleaners. Make certain sure your chosen cleaner knows how to handle the kilt though.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the odd occasion I've needed a brush I've used a horsehair brush to good effect. I will say in over a decade of kilt wearing, which is not that much compared to some, I've not had to worry about it too much. I tend to forgo the dry cleaners as I simply can't or wont trust them with a kilt. I've heard one too many horror stories for that.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

LoE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a brush is not up to the job try a damp sponge - my Mum used to go over woollen garments - winter coats, suits, skirts, flannel trousers with a piece of cloth, warm water and a sponge.

Any spots or stains were placed spot down on the rag and warm water from the sponge patted through the fabric - the process was called tamping. The cloth was refolded for each spot so there was a clean surface for each one.

Once all the spots were dealt with then the surface was gone over lightly. The sponge was moved briskly downwards with the garment on a hanger to refresh the cloth and then it was left to dry before being worn or put away.

Never put away damp or dirty woollen clothing as it is far more likely to attract moths or other wool eating beasties.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post: