X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings from Vancouver Island!

Once again, I seem to find myself in a new community... this time I am entering into the world of kilts!

A small story to introduce myself....

I have always had an interest in kilts, but never owned one... that is until 2019. My best bud and I were coaching a U15 box lacrosse team, and as any male parent normally does, we wear cargo shorts. Very useful, especially for coaches who need to carry stuff! One of our parents started mocking us (we know her, and all in good fun), calling our shorts "Purse Shorts". WELL! We did not take to that well... and in our weekly coaches meeting, we talked about it... and I said in a serious/not serious way, "Well.. we could just get kilts!" Well let me tell you, that activated some good positive talk with instant acceptance that we should do just that. Both of us apparently were interested in kilts for a long time, just did not have the motivation for it.

MOTIVATION AQUIRED!

So, I found some affordable black 100% cotton utility kilts on Amazon, we sized ourselves up best we could, and placed the order. With only our kids and wives knowing, we dawned our kilts and headed to the next weekend's game to represent! OH THE HORROR ON THEIR 15 YEAR OLD FACES WHEN WE WALKED INTO THE ARENA! Priceless! For the rest of the season, about 12 games left at that point, there were us two coaches, in our kilts.

What was the end result of a few months in kilts on weekends? Well... it felt great! I have even continued to wear mine at least twice a year for work events and Christmas gatherings... because why not? I may have only paid $50 for it but I tell you, if I have it, darnit I'm gonna use it! What didn't I like about it? The material! This kilt creases and bunches so easily, then the pleats look like garbage and borderline embarrassing.

Well.. I have decided it's time to get a better quality kilt (while still being a budget minded guy), and that is what has lead me to discovering X Marks the Scot. I have hopes that this community will help me figure out from where I should get my next kilt or two so that I am happy with the product, as well as put at ease things I don't like about my kilt experience so far. Maybe some things I am experiencing are normal, and I just need to accept them for what they are, or maybe it is a product of cheap quality kilts.

I am looking forward to the conversations to come!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the “Great Rabble”!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Failte from the Home of the Blues! You should consider a casual or semi-traditional kilt from site sponsor USA Kilts. They are very affordable if addicting.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the great rabble.

You may find, like many of us, that this can become somewhat of an obsession; but do keep an eye out , sometimes you find kilt-related things in the oddest of places; and e-bay is our friend.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum from Calgary!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Northern Colorado!
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from the other side of the Atlantic. I'm a Scotsman living in the English midlands.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Inverness-shire, and the eastern shore of the Salish Sea.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nocturnal, welcome to XMTS from the south end of the island!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast