X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bit of experience with this: though I've worn traditional kilts (bespoke, hand sewn, full yardage, wool) almost exclusively since 1975 I've made a few forays into modern kiltish styles, all of which I've regretted.

In my experience only bespoke traditional handsewn wool kilts fit exactly the way kilts should fit.

"Casual" and "semi-trad" kilts often do a good job of mimicking the outward appearance of traditional kilts, but they're not constructed like real kilts on the inside. The telling thing is the fit.

My advice, based on over 45 years of kilt wearing, is to go for a kilt, a genuine traditional kilt, handsewn by a real traditional kilt maker, who doesn't cut corners.

Yes it costs more! But do you want to spend your kiltwearing time putting around in a Yugo?
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your desire is to look nice and shed wrinkles, you will find wool works best for those goals. You will need a sporran.

My first kilt was an acrylic in Royal Stewart I bought at a Renaissance Fair, about $100 complete with cheapo sporran, chain, and sgian dubh. It quickly proved to me that the kilt was stylish and comfortable. It was not long before I upgraded to a Scotweb "casual" (5-yard) kilt in lightweight (11 oz) wool. I passed the acrylic kilt and sporran to a teenager who wanted to try it out.

The wool kilt was a real improvement and I still wear it frequently a decade and a half later. So, although it was a bit more expensive than the budget you have listed, it was a good value.

To get a wool kilt at a reasonable price, you can go the ex-hire route from Kilts for Less, as suggested. This will get you a full-on traditionally-structured kilt, which will be the bet looking. You can also check the For Sale items on this forum, or haunt UK Ebay for secondhand kilts.

To save a few bucks, you can look at casual or economy wool kilts. These will likely not have the full inner support structure of a traditional kilt, and will also have less tartan fabric. But they will still look very good and be comfortable and reasonably durable. Good sources include Scotweb and Stillwater (their economy kilts are wool and about $100 last time I checked).

For a very budget-conscious and comfortable kilt, try a SportKilt "comfy kilt." It runs about $40 and is made of cotton flannel. I have one of these, which I use for running. It feels very nice and is wonderfully breathable. You can get it with pockets and it features an easy velcro waistband. However, it will not look very neat for work and is strictly a casual weekend activity kilt.

Good luck and happy kilting!
    Andrew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12