X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Packing kilt accessories

So I have traveled with a kilt before, and I'm well aware of kilt rolling and all that. What I am wondering about is packing something like a tweed kilt jacket and vest/waistcoat. I've heard of compression cubes where the air is let out of the cube so your clothes are as flat as possible. That seems like a good plan, but I worry about wrinkles. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Do you have any specific products to recommend?

The reason that I am asking is that I have a looong trip coming up and I want to wear a kilt and ideally the jacket. I am spending two weeks in Ireland, nine days in England, and a bit over two weeks in Scotland. I will be going to the Braemar Gathering and would ideally wear the full TCHD; kilt, tweed, etc. Since my personal sherpa is out sick, I don't want to lug around bulky items for only one day. I know I don't have to wear a jacket, but I would like to if at all possible.

Also, there are lots of threads about wearing a kilt in Scotland, but what has been the reaction to people in Ireland or England wearing a kilt? Does anyone have any recommendations for a shoe that is comfortable to wear when walking for a couple of hours and is relatively TCHD?
    Last edited by kilted2000; 24th June 22 at 07:33 PM.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking as a regular kilt-wearer living on the Highland Line in Aberdeenshire, the reaction you get from the 'natives' will be positive if you wear your kilt as if it is habit, and not the fancy dress like you see at the ren-fairs. Keep it simple.

Very few (virtually none) men wear the kilt here, except when what they are doing calls for it, such as a wedding, anniversary, piping, Highland games, etc. It's a rare thing to see away from tourist venues.

That said, I wear the kilt regularly, and for the most part, the reaction is nothing at all (a bloke in a kilt, so what..?) or just an apreciative comment, like 'It's good to see..'

I would say dress casual and relaxed - wear the kilt in place of trousers and dress the same otherwise - there will be no need for smartness as you go through the day. In the evening, at your hotel, you can indulge yourself a bit more. This applies to all three countries you mention, and in England, people love to see a man in the kilt - people will stop you and ask about the tartan, etc.

Packing the suitcase to save the jacket from wrinkles is done with tried and tested methods going back generations.

Lay the jacket over the open suitcase and pack the other items into the jacket to pad it out. Sleeves can stuffed with small items and then be folded in at the end, and the jacket remains free from squashing and creasing (as much as it can). Any creases it gets can be got out with no effort other than hanging it in a steamy bathroom for an hour or so, and then letting it 'air' overnight.

As for shoes, any stout walking shoes will do, but if you have a pair of well broken-in brogues, they would be best. And a plain leather (leather and fur if you like) sporran during the day. Silver trimmed dress sporrans or hair sporrans will mark you out as a tourist.

You will find that across the UK and Ireland, dressing formally or conventionally is not much different from North America - everyone wears jeans, tee-shirts and hoodies for everything, so the kilt will be unusual, but well-received.

Have fun and enjoy it..!

3. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sound advice above.

Black brogues or stout black Oxfords would be common but brown would be ok, however, matching leathers would not be common practice. A tie might be an idea for some occasions, although not a tartan one. Oh, and no white hose!

Have fun!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th June 22 at 04:12 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    So I have traveled with a kilt before, and I'm well aware of kilt rolling and all that. What I am wondering about is packing something like a tweed kilt jacket and vest/waistcoat. I've heard of compression cubes where the air is let out of the cube so your clothes are as flat as possible. That seems like a good plan, but I worry about wrinkles. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Do you have any specific products to recommend?

The reason that I am asking is that I have a looong trip coming up and I want to wear a kilt and ideally the jacket. I am spending two weeks in Ireland, nine days in England, and a bit over two weeks in Scotland. I will be going to the Braemar Gathering and would ideally wear the full TCHD; kilt, tweed, etc. Since my personal sherpa is out sick, I don't want to lug around bulky items for only one day. I know I don't have to wear a jacket, but I would like to if at all possible.

Also, there are lots of threads about wearing a kilt in Scotland, but what has been the reaction to people in Ireland or England wearing a kilt? Does anyone have any recommendations for a shoe that is comfortable to wear when walking for a couple of hours and is relatively TCHD?
    Well alright, how did the trip go? I am curious to hear how your perceptions, reactions, thoughts might/might not have changed between starting and finishing the trip.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well alright, how did the trip go? I am curious to hear how your perceptions, reactions, thoughts might/might not have changed between starting and finishing the trip.
    Unfortunately I had to postpone my trip until mid-September. But fortunately it does start in less than two weeks.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately you will miss the Braemar gathering but there may still be others when you come. British people are not judgemental and certainly not openly critical so you should have no worries about wearing traditional highland dress. My wife gives me a nudge and tells me that must be an American tourist when we see people in touristy areas wearing kilts (either that or they must be tour guides). You never know you might find lots of American tourists wanting to take your photo as the nearest thing they have seen to Scottish culture.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    Unfortunately I had to postpone my trip until mid-September. But fortunately it does start in less than two weeks.
    Oh dear, that is a bother! Oh well, have a great time when you get here. I would be very interested in your observations when you return home. Have fun!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoy your trip

I hope all fits in the case, and you have a spectacular time! Please let us know how your trip went!
    I hope to go to Scotland next year...

Again have a wonderful time! (The beer and ale in England and Scotland were much better than the few choices I found in Ireland! ....though the Guiness in the basement of the bishops palace in Cashel was guite good!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of packing, when I'm running trip, I generally travel with a large duffle type bag (large North Face Base Camp).

I just fold my jacket and vest and generally put them in the bottom so they stay flat. Can't say I have had a problem with creasing. I tend to use packing cubes for the rest of my clothes (jeans, t-shirts etc) but that's mainly to keep stuff organised and to stop everything slumping to the bottom of the bag when I carry it upright or with the backpack harness as it tends to get thrown on and off the bus at least every other day.

Enjoy the trip.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post: