X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glasgow (KY) Highland Games appears to be belly-up

From a post on a particular social media platform that rhymes with "mace cook":

"Glasgow Highland Games, KY USA
    Jun 14 at 7:15 PM

As the COVID restrictions lift, we are getting many inquiries about the future of The Glasgow Highland Games. COVID put a tremendous financial
    strain on businesses and individuals. As a non-profit, we depend on local, state, and individual support.

We have lost several generous sponsors and patrons through this pandemic. It takes upwards of $140,000 to host our Games, which includes insurance, ASCAP and ASGF dues, lodging, bands, performers, tent rentals, top athletes, and the list goes on.

As you, we too were trying to regroup, adjust to the new economy AND come up with a plan for our 35th Anniversary Games. REALISTICALLY, the possibility of a $140,000 donor seems unlikely.

We will be issuing refunds to those who have prepaid. If you have any question, please send your query to ghg@glasgow-ky.com

We thank you, from our hearts for your support, encouragement, and understanding over the years.

Robert E. Harrison, President
    Bobby Lee Hurt, Vice-President
    Glasgow Highland Games, Inc."

The GHG was always held the weekend after Memorial Day at Barren River State Park, near the main entrance to the park. The website is no longer active (the domain appears to be up for grabs). It had a 34 year run and was going to celebrate #35 in 2020. There were a few permanent structures purpose-built for the Games (the main stands, 4 entertainment pavilions, and a couple of indoor restroom facilities) along with a couple of memorial markers. I don't know what the state park could do with those structures now that the Games will no longer be using them.

There is just one "Scottish" event in Kentucky now, but I wouldn't categorize it as a full-blown Games, nor solely Scottish. It's more of a Celtic-tinged pseudo Ren-faire (my personal impression), as the event takes place on a site that hosts "Renaissance Festival" weekends through the summer with permanent vendor booths, some of whom open up for this event. There are some athletic events, though it seemed to me it wasn't so much contest as it was display and demonstration of some of the heavy events, along with some other field sports (archery and a couple of others). Since I was involved with the pipe band, I didn't have time to wander. The last time I went to perform with the Louisville Pipe Band, there wasn't much in the way of clan associations in attendance.
    Last edited by EagleJCS; 26th June 22 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typos
    John

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post: