X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Assaye parade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assaye parade

I hope someone in the rabble can help with a question regarding the Assaye Day parade.
    I was watching my favorite videographer James Ramsay [who covers all things of the Royal Regiment] his video post on the Assaye parade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tM_p6Ly_1Q There appears to be four officers [@ 1:48] who are just marching back and forth and nothing else at this point. My question is this: Is this how time is "marked" while the compliment of men form up? Is there any historical / traditional reason for this. Is this done all the time for example at morning formation or just on "display" parade grounds? Thanks rabble!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I read elsewhere, they're supposedly demonstrating to the Other Ranks that they are sober enough to march without falling down. There is a formal term for this which I cannot recall.

I'm sure that someone else will correct me on what I read.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's wonderful to see the RRS on parade, so well turned-out in keeping with the high standard they have set.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As one of the comments remarks "Are any of the commanding officers of Scottish regiments Scottish?"

Alan

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    I hope someone in the rabble can help with a question regarding the Assaye Day parade.
    I was watching my favorite videographer James Ramsay [who covers all things of the Royal Regiment] his video post on the Assaye parade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tM_p6Ly_1Q There appears to be four officers [@ 1:48] who are just marching back and forth and nothing else at this point. My question is this: Is this how time is "marked" while the compliment of men form up? Is there any historical / traditional reason for this. Is this done all the time for example at morning formation or just on "display" parade grounds? Thanks rabble!!
    The maneuver in question is known as: the promenade. You can tell by that odd little back-and-forth turn that they do at the end of their course. And you are correct, it is done by the officers until they fall in. Its purpose is to let the troops see the officers.

From a ceremonial point of view, it is described here. https://www.canada.ca/en/services/de...chapter-9.html

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid preacher View Post
    The maneuver in question is known as: the promenade. You can tell by that odd little back-and-forth turn that they do at the end of their course. And you are correct, it is done by the officers until they fall in. Its purpose is to let the troops see the officers.

From a ceremonial point of view, it is described here. https://www.canada.ca/en/services/de...chapter-9.html
    That's interesting; it's not seen in the Australian Defence Force and there's no mention of promenading in our ceremonial or drill manuals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can sometimes spot the officers promenading during the changing of the guard. In this video beginning around the 1 hour mark as the two bands are playing you can just see the two sets of officers promenading in from of the palace:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiVgZ7JdK6Q

And here, from the changing of the guard on Parliament Hill on Ottawa you can see the promenade around the 9 minute mark:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7T7KSiIeVI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Preacher for clearing that up for me !!! Who'd thunk a religious would have the answer - God bless ya!!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    As one of the comments remarks "Are any of the commanding officers of Scottish regiments Scottish?"

Alan
    They cou.d have asked the same question of the soldiers (Other Ranks). There have been both Gurkas and Fijians in the RRS for quite a few years now.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    Thanks Preacher for clearing that up for me !!! Who'd thunk a religious would have the answer - God bless ya!!
    I was a Chaplain in the Canadian Forces Reserve for a number of years; so you do pick things up.

15. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post: