X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Formal options for a larger man.

Would a regulation doublet be more flattering on a larger man than a Prince Charlie? if not what would be for black tie?
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem for the larger kilt wearer, is that clothing that does not fit shows up more obviously. So a well fitting traditional style kilt is almost a pre-requisite and a well tailored jacket and particularly the waist coat .......to avoid the dreaded gap between jacket/waist coat and kilt......are necessary. Imagine a large egg in a small egg cup! So unless you are fortunate in finding second hand attire that fits perfectly, then the only route left is the expensive bespoke one. What style of jacket you have is a personal one but, I think the PC is going to be more difficult for the larger person to wear effectively, particularly if one goes down the used attire route.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd July 22 at 12:22 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option, that I go for these days , for minor formal evening events like dressing for dinner(black tie) with friends , is the Black Barathea Silver Buttoned Argyll(BBSBA). I think that option which would not be everyone’s choice , with or without the waist coat, could well be the best option for the larger gentleman for anything but the most formal of formal events.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would add to Jock Scot's suggestion and suggest useing a belt rather than a waistcoat. Simple, perfectly acceptable and fine for any but the most formal of black tie. And obviates the possibility of shirt showing under the waistcoat.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a larger man myself, what I've found to be most flattering is the Argyll or cutaway style jacket.

The Prince Charlie coatee exposes the lower belly, not a good thing for me.

The lower-cut Evening waistcoat is more flattering than the higher 5-button waistcoat for me.

I know that in modern times kilt jackets are usually worn unbuttoned, but for me the most flattering look is to avoid having any bulk under the jacket (no waistcoat or belt) and buttoning the single button of a one-button Argyll/cutaway jacket.

Now some might say "but the Argyll isn't an Evening jacket" to which I reply that the evidence is otherwise, that the Argyll (in Evening jacket colours such as black, dark blue, dark green, claret, etc) and with silver buttons has always been just another Evening style.

True that, strictly speaking, the lapels should be done up in satin as seen below.

Last edited by OC Richard; 4th July 22 at 06:12 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte