X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very heartfelt thank you!

Folks, I have been reading many threads new and old on many diverse subjects here. The amount of knowledge, and the willingness to share that knowledge is just staggering! I had been thinking about getting a kilt for a few years ( always loved the sound of the pipes!) But my wife said I would look rediculous... so I had kind of dropped the idea... but still viewed this site... went to a Local Renn faire and my daughter dragged me over to the kilt booth... I had discussed with her which Family names were in our ancestry and the relevant tartans... My daughter said to me "why dont you buy a kilt?" and my wife said go ahead if you want to.... so I spent the better part of an hour and a half choosing the tartan, the hose, sporran, etc... certainly made a few beginners mistakes along the way... once I started wearing the kilt I was astounded how comfortable it is! (I was involved in a car accident in 1985 which messed up my knee and broke my left hip. I have a very long scar from that being fixed and they went in the same way when the hip was replaced back in 2010. Pants were always uncomfortable over that scar, and the normal belt aggravates it.) With the higher waist and belt I am MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE now...
    My wife asked where am I going to wear it besides the Renn Faire, I answered, I don't know...
    I then wore it to work on Tartan day, and have been wearing a kilt nearly every Friday since. Co workers were a bit stunned at first, now it lets them know it is friday.... of course a few days with scones I brought in helped with the acceptance! I have taken to wearing a kilt to visit my mom in assisted living on sundays... I wear a utility kilt to do yard work and run to home depot and such.... even wear it out to break sporting clays ( I know treading close on rule #11). Thanks so much to each and every one of you for making this a great experience!

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Kitfoxdave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your experience here! I'm lucky that my wife has completely fallen for the kilted look. In March, while celebrating my parents' 50th anniversary, we arranged a photo shoot on the beach followed by a very nice dinner. We dressed to the nines, me in a high end double-breasted suit complete to pocket square. Later that evening she leaned over and quietly said, "you look amazing, but I still like you better in a kilt". I need to find more opportunities to put one on.

I went kilted with her and one of our friends to the Downton Abbey movie a couple of months ago and while one of the teenagers at the snack bar was visibly confused at my apparel, a security guard walked up and said, "hey, are you going to the highland games tomorrow?". You meet all types when kilted!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wife now approves...

After trying on the kilt and getting various accessories my wife said, you know I like how you look in a kilt... much better than pants!

She is still trying to cope with the high waist look...

She has been helping out adjusting things to HER tastes....

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kitfoxdave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is the option of no belt and a waistcoat which rather smooths the eye over the rather unusual to modern styles high waistline.

Now that restrictions are lifted and I am going out with various teams to play for their dancing I am pleased to be wearing a toning bolero or waistcoats with my kilts, having made various pairings having time on my hands and think I could be forgiven for finding the effect rather flattering.

Anne the Pleater.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

LoE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belt and waistcoat options

My waistcoat will be altered in the fall... (my daughter owes me for all the work I did on her house.)...and I have tried the belt and no belt options... my wife and I both like the belt option better.

I now have a black belt in the same style on order as well.

Looking into a more historic style tweed jacket as well..
    Nothing formal as we have not attended those types of events in the past 40 plus years...